Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bowmender Bow Press >

Bowmender Bow Press

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowmender Bow Press

Old 12-06-2003, 11:29 PM

Default RE: Bowmender Bow Press

The steel I use is 1/4X 1 1/2 inch flat steel stock for the main body of each bracket with the "legs" of the press brackets cut from 1/4X 1 inch flat steel. The three individual parts of each bracket are cut to size and then clamped into a welding jig and welded on one side. Before the bracket is removed from the welding jig, the holes are center punched through guides to ensure precise alignment. When all brackets are welded and punched, the other side is welded. I use a Hobart BetaMig 250 amp mig welder on all my welding chores. After the welding is all done, I center drill all the holes with a 5/16" drill and then re-drill to 1/2" and then chamfer each hole with a 3/4" drill. The next step is sandblasting all the brackets to remove all slag and mill scale to ensure good paint adhesion. I have been using epoxy appliance enamel paint and it seems to hold up to scratches and dings quite well. The biggest problem I have this time of the year is the painting in the cold weather. I have a big shop and heating it up takes a long time to get to a point that the parts and paint are warm enough to get a good application and dries well. There is 28 holes in the brackets for one press so when I build a run of ten like what I'm doing now, I'll be doing 560 separate drillings and then the 560 chamfers[&:] Lots of quailty time spent with my old pal,,, the drill press I've got a ton of pics but still can't put them up here, image size must be 30k or less. If you want more pics I can e-mail them to you on request. If you want to make one yourself they are pretty easy to copy, just a basic principal of leverage
Old 12-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good report Ausie!

I've been looking into Russ' press for awhile now. I'll be ordering mine soon! Originally I was gonna spend the big bucks again and get another Apple press. But I just don't use a press enough to justify the high cost (and I'd rather spend the moeny on other new goodies! )

Russ' design looks like the perfect press for the home user. Portable enough if need be to take on a hunting trip, but far easier to use and more versatile than the current "portable" presses.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Russ' design looks like the perfect press for the home user. Portable enough if need be to take on a hunting trip, but far easier to use and more versatile than the current "portable" presses
Jeff.
I will say this the press is perfect for taking on a hunting trip or to those far away 3d shoots where you just cant get to a pro shop.
It also fits nice and neatly behind the seat of my truck so it will be going with me where ever I go with my bow

Yep and your right it is easy to use if I can use it then anyone can[:-]
Old 12-08-2003, 03:38 PM
nub

wwag; Let me know if my pm didn't arrive to you. Got an error message after sending. I'll try email next time.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy
Yep and your right it is easy to use if I can use it then anyone can[:-]
Old 12-09-2003, 06:46 PM

How much does this press sell for?
Old 12-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

How much does this press sell for?

00buckshot.
I do believe that the press cost $75:00 delivered to your door
Old 12-10-2003, 07:45 AM

Can you use this press to swap out limbs, or is mainly for string maintenace?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you use this press to swap out limbs, or is mainly for string maintenace?
Stinky1

Altho I have not completely stripped my bow down I can see no reason why you cant do a complete strip down with this press.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:45 AM

I've had the limbs off my '03 Pat Dually to move the VibraBlocks to the limb/riser junction. I did this because I put on Limb Savers and didn't want to peel them off, so off came the limbs I've also had the limbs off the wife's Pro 40 Dually target and her brother's '02 BlackKnight. You press the bow first and then remove the strings and cables. Next you ratchet down the strap slowly until the strap just starts to pull through the slot in the reel. You hold onto the excess strap and let down the ratchet and let the strap slide through the slot slowly until all the tension is off the press and limbs. When ready to re-assemble the bow, put the limbs into the pockets and just snug the bolts down enough to gently hold the limbs in place. Put the bow into the press and then pull the strap through the slot in the reel. Center the riser and limbs between the press brackets and then pull as much strap through the ratchet reel as you can. You'll be suprised how much you can flex the limbs in this manner. The reason you want to do this is because the more strap material you have in the reel of the ratchet, the less leverage you will have with the ratchet handle to press the bow. When done correctly it is pretty easy to do. It's not nearly as fast as a professional press but faster than driving to your pro shop. Like Ausie said "if I can do it anyone else can"

Quick Reply: Bowmender Bow Press

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.