Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 2004 Extreme VFT...Initial Impressions >

2004 Extreme VFT...Initial Impressions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

2004 Extreme VFT...Initial Impressions

Old 12-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default 2004 Extreme VFT...Initial Impressions

I like it ................A LOT!!

I'm pressed for time, so Ill be brief.

80 lbs, 29" (Dead Nuts on an AMO 29") 455 gr arrow= 300 fps
400 gr arrow= 316 fps (With a brass nock, rubber eliminator button, tru-peep, and string silencers)

Whoever said the 2004 advertised speeds were going to be accurate spoke the truth. With a 30" module and bare string, this bow will do over 330 fps...EASILY!

Balance is better, but it still shoots best with a little back weight below the grip.
Shooting characteristics are pretty much the same as last year, because it is pretty much the same bow....very low noise and recoil. The new camo is a definite improvement. The new Vibrablocks and string silencers are more effective as well IMO.

The group in the pic is from 20 yards with the 455 gr camo ICS Hunters (300). I haven't done any paper tuning. I just eyeballed the rest and shot a group. I had to stand outside in the breeze way, shoot through my front door, and down the hall. The lengths we'll go to to shoot. Don't worry, the apartment was empty and there is a brick wall on the other side of the door.

Nothing like a little robinhood to make you fall in love with a bow.

Old 12-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2004 Extreme VFT...Initial Impressions

The whole set up:

Old 12-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a sweet looking bow... and rediculous speeds with those "heavy" arrows...

Curious what the FDC is like. Does the bow hit and hold peak early or later in the draw cycyle?

Have you always shot 80#, or is this something new for this year because the 80# draws more like a 70# or something? How is the bow after the shot, any handshock/recoil of movement?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

It feels like every bit of 80 lbs. The FDC is pretty stout. It peaks early, plateaus, then lets off quickly into a narrow valley with a hard back wall. You have to have a lot of area under the curve to generate the speeds this bow does.

It is the Liberty that is so smooth that if feels like 10 lbs less.

The shot is very pleasant. Very low recoil; especially with the back weight added. I can't wait to shoot the Liberty, because it is supposed to be even less.

I've always shot heavy bows. I have backed off a little lately because really high speeds can be had with lower lbs now that Bowtech is here.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you always shot 80#, or is this something new for this year because the 80# draws more like a 70# or something
I realize that is what people are reporting about the Liberty, but thought maybe since they smoothed out the FDC and added bearings for '04, perhaps you decided to shoot heavier because it was easier to pull that past versions.

Still can't wait to fling some arrows with a few of their bows.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Vic,

Nice Group

Think you could post a close up pic of the camo, please?

Range,

You've never seen a pic of Vic, have you? He eats 80 pound bows for breakfast.

BTW, the ExVFT/Samson is unchanged from last year except for camo, VB's and hush-kits.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, the ExVFT/Samson is unchanged from last year except for camo, VB's and hush-kits.
Ahhhh...
Old 12-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

This is about as good as I can do.....

Old 12-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 500 fps

This is about as good as I can do.....

Thanx Vic..looks like the Mossy Oak Obsession is a bit "sharper" than the Advantage Timber, would you say thats the case?
Old 12-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the new finish looks great. More browns & tans than last year's bows. Lighter overall coloring.

Quick Reply: 2004 Extreme VFT...Initial Impressions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.