Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

RH or LH bow

Old 11-24-2003, 07:07 PM

Default RH or LH bow

My son wants a new bow for Christmas. How is the hand version determined? Holding the bow or drawing the string? ie., RH holds the bow makes this a right handed bow? Thanks!
Old 11-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: RH or LH bow

The version is determined by the hand that pulls the string. ie a righthanded shooter holds the bow in his left and draws with his right.

Thanks for asking something I could answer
Old 11-24-2003, 09:14 PM

LOL Redneck.

That is correct
Old 11-24-2003, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Start him out right and find out wich eye is dominant and that is the bow he should shoot.If he is RIGHT EYE dominant and left handed,he will MOST likely shoot better if he shoots RIGHT HANDED.

This is not hard to check.One way is to walk out about 15-20 feet and tell him to make a circle with his fingers,with arm extended, look through that circle and put your head in the circle.You can see which eye he is using to center your head and that will be the dominant eye.

This may save years of frustration and headache if you start him out this way.If you are lucky,his eye and hand dominance will be the same but that isn' t always the case.

My daughter is right handed and left eye dominant and I started her shooting BEFORE I could check her eye dominance and now am in the process of switching her over.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:34 PM
Spike

Good point on the eye dominance. I am right handed and left eye. I was lucky and found this before I started archery. I still shoot guns right handed but bow lefty.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:17 AM

Ya go with eye dominance this was one of my dilemas I am left handed but right eye dominate even if it feels natural to shoot left handed if hes right eye dominate get him used to shooting that way it wont take long for it to start feeling right for him.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:49 AM

I am right handed and left eye. I have just learned to be sure and close my left eye.

K. Smith
Old 11-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Spike

I am left eye dominant but do everything right handed. I started shooting with a right-handed bow because it was comfortable. It took me several years to change but when I did I wished I wouldn' t have wasted all those years trying to shoot with the non-dominant eye.. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn' t hesitate to start shooting using the dominant eye. It should be easy for a young person to achieve this.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:05 AM

I too am right handed, but left eye dominant... I shoot left handed.. and love it!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:18 AM

Do you guys shoot with both eyes open? I am also left eye but shoot right handed. I shoot guns and bow with my left eye closed. If I open my left eye, I can' t shoot at all. And I don' t see it being possible for me to shoot left handed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.