Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
arrow weight vs length vs spine vs foc. >

arrow weight vs length vs spine vs foc.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow weight vs length vs spine vs foc.

Old 05-22-2022, 12:36 AM
Spike

Default arrow weight vs length vs spine vs foc.

Hi all .. I'm currently shooting a Kryptik Redhead single cam 75lb ..the shafts I've just setup are gold tip hunters 340sp cut to 27 1/4" with 2"blazers 100gn head total arrow weight is 388.4gn with 18.5% foc..what are your thoughts on the hunting capabilities of this setup and on the arrow setup itself..cheers
Old 05-22-2022, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frankly, I think your arrows are too light. 75# is a heavy bow but I think your penetration will suffer. Kenetic energy is great, but momentum is your friend.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Frankly, I think your arrows are too light. 75# is a heavy bow but I think your penetration will suffer. Kenetic energy is great, but momentum is your friend.
I sort of agree .. I believe the shafts are a little light but the foc seems wrong. I used 2different calculators on the internet and got 2very different answers..18.5 and 9.75 foc.. I the smaller is mor likely hence I'm going to 125gn heads.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Wingbone
although you meet the minimum IBO arrow weight for your draw weight I too believe your total arrow weight is too light. I'd opt for an arrow around 450 gr total. Your bow will be quieter and will be under less stress with the heavier arrow. Probably shoot better too.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

I think the previous posters were correct and you'll be far better off with a minimum of a 7.5 grain per lb of bow draw weight and a 300-400 spine, but read the charts and get the correct spine weight, and don't try to use overly short arrows or fletching thats not sufficient to rapidly stabilize the arrows, check your game department laws
its been proven consistently in testing that the ideal broadhead DESIGN
should be approximately three times its diameter or blade width,
in length, and fixed blade generally out perform mechanicals
and blades should ideally be at least 1.125" in diameter or blade width,
at the widest point to maximize penetration and lethal damage

https://www.gohunt.com/read/how-to-s...rrow#gs.fdfj15

https://www.advancedhunter.com/arrow-selection/

https://www.3riversarchery.com/pdf/ArrowCharts.pdf

http://patnorrisarchery.com/arrow-ch...ip-Chart-2.jpg

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-01-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:08 AM
Spike

I think that when you shoot the bow kenetic energy is your best friend
Old 03-15-2024, 04:17 AM
Spike

Looks like you've got a solid setup for deer hunting! Arrow weight and FOC are both in a good zone for your 75lb bow, and the kinetic energy should be sufficient for ethical harvests.

Remember, shot placement is king, so practice makes perfect. Broadhead selection and hunting distance are also important factors. Double check local regulations to make sure your arrow weight meets minimum requirements too. Good luck out there!