Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Do pivoting limb pockets... >

Do pivoting limb pockets...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do pivoting limb pockets...

Old 11-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do pivoting limb pockets...

Allow a bow to operate at peak efficiency no matter the weight setting?

It' s always been stated that a bow with the limb bolts maxed out operates at peak efficiency, and backing out the limb bolts to lower draw weight and " adds slop" to the system, and efficiency potentially suffers.

Do pivoting limb pockets, which keep the limbs tight and secure no matter the setting, solve this?

Would a 70-80# draw bow with pivoting limb pockets backed down and set at 70# shoot the same as a 60-70# bow maxed at 70#s? How much brace would one gain with the backed down 70-80# bow over the maxed out at 70#?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Do pivoting limb pockets...

I always thought it had something to do with cam position, but I really don' t know. I' ve been trying to figure out the advantages of pivoting limb pockets for some time, without success. Maybe that it one of them, but I doubt it.

I don' t know how these multiple posts happened - I hit " okay" only once.

same
Old 11-11-2003, 06:56 PM

No, a 70-80# BowTech bow backed off to 70# would not shoot the same speed as a 60-70# maxed out. [X(]

The reason being that when you back off the limb bolts you are effectively changing the angle of the limb in relation to the riser.

You design a bow to work at a predetermined limb angle and preload. This is the reason you see so many different angles of risers where the pocket bolts on.

A pivoting pocket is designed to keep the limb from shifting side - side when the limb is backed out[8D]. The limb is fully trapped in the pocket regardless of draw #.

This is my opinion on BowTech bows, I' ve tested other bows and found this to be true of them also.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to mention they tend to make for a quieter bow as there is no space between the limb and pocket creating a " sound chamber" effect
Old 11-12-2003, 12:19 PM

Mr. Bowtech,

When the limb angle is changed by backing out limb bolts, does the cam position change? If so, does the cam position have an effect? Also, when this change in limb angle occurs, does it change draw length?

Mr. Bowtech,

When the limb angle is changed by backing out limb bolts, does the cam position change? If so, does the cam position have an effect? Also, when this change in limb angle occurs, does it change draw length?

Mr. Bowtech,

Old 11-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

StraightArrow,

Looks like you' ve picked up a stutter here lately

Quick Reply: Do pivoting limb pockets...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.