Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 11-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Evolution of bows

I don' t really begrudge anyone trying to develop new products, but I am pretty analytical when they start telling me I need them.
My feelings exactly. New gadgets are nice to play with but they have to be something special before they find their way onto my hunting bow.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:45 PM

JoePA and I seem to be on the same path. I also have a compound, WB, basic pin sight, and a Winn release. I couldn' t be happier and I shoot great with the combo. I actually, purposefully, pushed my equipment hard on this last hunt. The bow rode bunjied corded to a plastic tote in the back of my truck for almost 500 miles, was carried through the thickest black spruce you could imagine, and was pushed ahead of me army-crawl style acrost frozen crunchy snow on the open tundra in a few failed stalks. It didn' t fail me and when I got home it still hit exactly as when I left. HOWEVER, I had to constantly rub the ice off of my cables and string serving throughout the first couple days. That' s why the bow ended up riding in the back of the truck...warm bow and cold weather=ice. The minor troubles we go through are still often less than rifle hunters with optics go through in inclement weather.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:35 PM

AKDoug:

Being I have never used one, I do not hate the " Whackin' Basket," I simply cannot accept the design vs. what a rest is supposed to do or not do.

As for the suggestions of going back to the basics, I believe it is a right move in the right direction for less problems, less cost, and more bowhunting pleasure. However, I definitely do not believe that one has to go back or go to the recurve or longbow to get " basic."

In fact, unless a shooter is proficient or once was proficient with a recurve or longbow, I would not recommend that a person revert that far unless he or she is ready and willing to put in the time to learn how to shoot a stick and string.

Some very good compound designs, setups, and accessories are available that can qualify for a return to the basics and still be a mean killing machine, durable and reliable, and far less stress (shock) and down-the-road negative affect on the bow and your body.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:16 PM

Yo Navy! why not just get them heat seaking arrows then just point it somewhat in the right direction, away from the tank, any you have meat on the table. just kidding ....

Old 11-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I actually have an Osage tree near me that needs to come down, so maybe 6 or 7 years from now when I am older and wiser I' ll cut that puppy down split it into staves and whittle myself out a few, in the truly traditional way.
Redpath, don' t wait! Go ahead and cut the tree and split it into staves NOW. In 6 or 7 years, the wood will be seasoned to perfection and ready to turn into bows. If you wait 6 or 7 years to cut the tree, then it will be at least another year before the wood is ready to work.

This topic has me thinking of the movie " Robin Hood: Men in Tights" where Robin had a Patriot guided arrow. I swear, it looks like a lot of stuff guys are already carrying into the woods was dreamed up by Mel Brooks. LOL