Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow spine

Old 03-03-2021, 08:37 AM
Spike

Default arrow spine

hello, with hunting with a compound bow of about 45 pounds what are the pros and cons of using high spine (500) arrows. What are the pros and cons to high or low spine arrows in general with hunting.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spine too low allows the arrow to flex more than necessary. I always use the highest spined arrow shaft recommended for my set up. I never go lower.

Sorry... not a direct answer to your question.

I suggest calling an arrow manufacturer such as Easton or Gold Tip. I suspect you will find someone in their customer service that will give you a precise answer.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The weight of your arrow point will affect spine. As the point weight increases the arrow spine lowers. It takes more bow energy to get a heavier tipped arrow moving than a lighter tipped arrow.

Arrow spine chart link below.

https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Spine-Chart.aspx
Old 03-03-2021, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ma you also have to include arrow length into the equation. A 500 spine arrow at 26" in length will act stiffer than a 500 spine arrow at 30". And like Roger stated above the tip weight also comes into play.
Using the chart above and your arrow length is 28" using a 100 gr tip, for 45-49 lb draw you're at the high end of a 500 spine arrow. Personally I would opt for a 400 spine. Three reasons: 1 if you so desire you can crank up the draw weight all the way to over 60# should you choose; 2. The stiffer/heavier arrow will be easier to tune, quieter to shoot, and have less stress on the bow and 3. Will give you added spine should you decide on going to a heavier tip.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:41 PM
Spike

Hello Everyone!

I agreed with bronko..
Old 04-07-2022, 03:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Ma you also have to include arrow length into the equation. A 500 spine arrow at 26" in length will act stiffer than a 500 spine arrow at 30". And like Roger stated above the tip weight also comes into play.
Using the chart above and your arrow length is 28" using a 100 gr tip, for 45-49 lb draw you're at the high end of a 500 spine arrow. Personally I would opt for a 400 spine. Three reasons: 1 if you so desire you can crank up the draw weight all the way to over 60# should you choose; 2. The stiffer/heavier arrow will be easier to tune, quieter to shoot, and have less stress on the bow and 3. Will give you added spine should you decide on going to a heavier tip.
I suggest calling an arrow manufacturer such as Easton or Gold Tip.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:08 PM
Spike

oh coool thnax