Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 When to tune my single cam? >

When to tune my single cam?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

When to tune my single cam?

Old 11-05-2003, 01:17 PM

Default When to tune my single cam?

How do I know when my single cam needs tuned?? I have looked this up, but was unable to answer my question. I have never tuned my bow. It is a few years old, but I havn' t shot in a very long time. How do I know if the string/cable has streched? How much do I have to twist it back if it needs it? Thanks for any help you guys/gals can give me.

And I am unaware of any good archery shops around.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:32 PM

Default RE: When to tune my single cam?

Easiest way to tell if your bow needs to be tuned is to shoot it. If it' s not grouping arrows, or they are flying funny, it needs to be tuned. That is of course if you do what YOU are supposed to in the shot sequence.

Another way is to paper tune it. Look in the yellow pages under " archery" for a pro-shop, or talk to other bowhunters and see where they go.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-05-2003, 06:30 PM

Being I am not shooting very well. I guess I will keep shooting untill I feel that I am doing most things right. I will then paper-tune it. Thanks.

Will I be able to tune it myself, or should I bring it into a shop? I don' t have a press, but I don' t even know if I would need one.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tabby,

I think you might be referring to both tuning and timing in your initial question. All bows need to be both tuned and timed correctly in order for them to operate most efficiently. Tuning normally refers to basic adjustments done to the bow in order to get your arrows flying " straight and true" , for lack of a better term. Examples of this would be adjustments to the tiller, nock height, centershot, rest tension, etc.... Timing on the other hand refers to the cam' s rotational position in relation to the string, limbs, etc... Having incorrect timing on a single cam can definitely affect the tune as it probably means that your nock height has also moved.

Before beginning basic set up or tuning I would suggest first determining if your cam is properly timed. Though many folks like to get very specific with the timing of their cam(s) a novice, in this regard, can generally " eye" up the cam provided they have a source of reference to compare it to.

I would try to find a reputable and knowledgable shop in your general area first that you can take the bow to. Have them check the timing of the cam. If you cannot find a shop then I suggest you contact the manufacturer via email or otherwise and ask for them to email or send you a picture of the cam you are using when it is properly timed.

When it comes time to change the string/cable on your bow the pro shop that you take it to will/should time the cam correctly for you when installing them. I would then take a lead pencil and draw some reference marks on the cam (in relation to the limbs) to let you know when the cam is properly timed. Then you always have something to check on periodicially to make sure the timing is still " good" .

Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:19 AM

Tabby

With my Bowtech single cam, the only tunning that I have had done after the original setup is to have the string twisted. If the bow was setup properly the only thing you should have to do is paper tune. If your shooting bullet holes, your good to go. Single cam bows in my opinion will not go out of synch like dual cam bows. that why I shoot single cams.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:30 PM

Thanks guys.

PABowhntr.

I know my bow isn' t tuned. And I think that it needs timed. I am going to the local range today and am going to ask where they all go, but I think they do everything themselves.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am sure that one of the guys has to know of a reputable shop. If not then maybe you could ask one of the gentlemen there to help you with the tuning/timing issues. Most archers/bowhunters that I have met through my travels are some of the friendliest and helpful people you will ever meet. Most love to talk about what they are shooting/using.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Tabby,
What kind of bow you talking about?
I have info about Mathews cams....
Let me know...
Old 11-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

A late reaction, but i tried to reply days ago for the first time.
Somehow it didnt came on this site.

Tabby, What kind of bow you talking about in this topic?
I have original cam setups for Mathews Max cams.
If you want......

Quick Reply: When to tune my single cam?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.