Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fall Away Rest??? >

Fall Away Rest???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fall Away Rest???

Old 11-03-2003, 09:08 PM

Default Fall Away Rest???

I' m wanting to convert over to a fall away rest, and was wondering ya' lls opinion. I want a reliable and quiet rest at an affordable price. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fall Away Rest???

The Vital Bow Gear Ultimate Drop away is a very good solid rest. Has an arrow holder for stalking, and is built as solid as a tank.

I would also recomend the GKF Mirage, however I would wait until the new design comes out in 2004. The mirage, while being an awesome rest design (great for hunting) has some small issues that are being addressed to make it that much better in 04.

I have heard the Muzzy Zero Effect is a great rest, but I have never tried one. I do believe they are a bit on the pricey side though.

If you don' t mind getting a used rest, take a look on Archery Talk. There always seems to be a ton of rests for sale in the classified forums.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:58 AM

Muzzy Zero Effect gets my vote. Had one on both my bows since they were introduced and love them both. One was on a MQ-1 and now I have one on my LX.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:12 AM

sorry for jumping in on someone elses post, Hope you dont mind but its along the same line of questioning.

Is there a good reason for not shooting a fall away rest? Expecially when shooting carbon arrows? I know(or think I know) the reason for shooting is to have flech clearence. With the smaller diam of carbon arrows it can be difficult. But is anybody using fall away rests with larger alum arrows? and why?
Old 11-04-2003, 09:55 AM

the vital bow gear fallaway it' s awesome , it' s quiet , simple and it' s not expensive ,gander mountain has them for 70.00
Old 11-04-2003, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drop Zone!
Old 11-04-2003, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

X
Old 11-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Spike

One of the most affortable dropaway rests available is the TKO rest from GKF. It sets up similar to a TM Hunter, can be shot as conventional if you want, can be switched from left hand to right hand, has lifetime warantee, easy to set up with micro adjustment markings, and costs less than 50.00 Also you have the backing of GKF Tech service if you have any trouble with setting it up. If you would like to read a independant review of it here is a link http://www.bowzone.ca/modules.php?op...wcontent&id=36
Old 11-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one the only for me Muzzy ZE I have 2 and love them.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

First, one question---Are you experiencing severe fletching contact on your current setup that cannot be tuned out?

If so, then yes, you may indeed want to try a drop away to help with clearance on tight helical arrows.

If not, then there is no need whatsoever to go to a drop away for anything other than jumping on the " fad bandwagon" . They certainly do not shoot any better than any other rest that is tuned correctlyand has sufficient clearance, and they also are tougher to initially setup IMO with the lanyards, tubes, magnets, cableslides, etc that can get hooked by brush or other stuff, and the drop has to be set correctly to gain great flight with them. I like to keep things simple and most of my customers do too, and that is why most of them and myself now either shoot GKF conventional rests,Bodoodles, or (yes, I can hear you screaming) Whisker Biskits.

Can you tell that I do not care for fall aways?[&:] You' re right! I strongly feel there is little call for them to be honest.

Another interesting theory I have been recently testing is the new Hybrids that offer straight and level nock travel at all drawlengths---(specifically the Merlin Omega system) these bows chuck arrows that have varying spine configurations very well, much better than conventional solos and even finely tuned twins. Due to this I find I can shoot a fixed blade broadhead with far less helical and even down to a simple 3 degree offset with the same or better accuracy than I could with a solo or twin with a tight helical![] By widening the spine acceptance and the lessening of needed helical with these newer systems, this also IMO eliminates the need for any sort of fall away rest design and all of the lanyards, tubes, cableslides, etc, and the hassle of getting them to drop in exactly the correct spot.

My final thoughts on this whole subject is that IMHO with the way technology is progressing and the ease of tuning these new hybrid bows exhibit even with fixed broadheads, most will soon realize that the fallaway rest is indeed nothing more than a " fad" , and most will soon migrate back to simpler conventional rests in a short period of time, simply because they will have no need to go to a rest that offers " superior helical clearance" . Everything else flys great out of a conventional anyway, bottom line.

But, if you feel you need or want them, then I guess that is your choice. My advice is think it through before you leap tho. Just my own thoughts, good shooting, Pinwheel 12

Quick Reply: Fall Away Rest???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.