Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

old bear

Old 05-19-2018, 07:42 AM
Spike

Default old bear

Ok I am really new to archery so any advice would be appreciated. I bought an old compound bow, its a bear whitetail hunter, Its stripped down but I would like to add some things to it for 1 a whisker biscuit but it doesnt seem to have a hole to put the screw in, do i have to drill a hole or what?
Old 05-19-2018, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

first of welcome to the site and to the world of archery
However, IF it was me, I would NOT be still using this bow, its OLD< the limbs have been under tension a LONG time, and could be weak
the main reason why there is NO hole, is back then they didn;t even have rests that bolted on like they do now, I would NOT drill a hole as it could cause structure damage to it and cause injury to you if things goes wrong!(like cracking the receiver/riser)
if your dead set on wanting to revive a OLD bow as such, my suggestion will be, take the WHOLE bow to a GOOD archery shop and have them go over it, odds are VERY high it needs a new string and or cables, this bow is most likely 20+ yrs old which is a LONG time in the archery world
there are a TON of NEW entry level bow's that are WAY better in a LOT of way and can be had fairly cheap and be a LOT safer to hunt with,.
DO you even know what your draw length is? and is this bow set up to the correct draw length for you?
this is another rreason to TAKE bow to a good archery shop and MAKE sure its both safe and set up to fit you
an impropper fitting bow, it like trying to run a marathon in snerakers the wrong size, OK for a bit , but you will never run very well in them
and a poor fitting bow you will never be GOOD at shooting, will cause you all sorts of accuracy issue';s as you will always be trying to FORM fit, it, rather than it fitting you! and form is about the number one thing you need to have and repeat exactly the same time every shot,, and that's very hard to do with an improper fitting bow
sorry if this is NOT what you wanted to hear, but its honest advice from a guy with almost 40 yrs of archery experience!
and again TAKE it to a bow shop before you fire a single arrow, or you could get seriously hurt, and if you DO shoot it, make sure arrows are of correct size and strength for it, or again you can seriously get hurt shooting it AS IS!
and NEVER EVER DRY FIRE IT! that means pull back and release without an arrow in it! DON"T laugh I have seen TONS of folks do it! and a few bows that exploded in there hands when they did