Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Picking out new Arrows >

Picking out new Arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Picking out new Arrows

Old 11-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Picking out new Arrows

I'm looking into getting another dozen arrows for my hunting setup, as i only have 5 left. I'm wondering if i should stick with 55/70 arrows or switch to 65/80. According to the charts I'm right on the top edge of the 55/70 and if I turn up my poundage i would be into the 65/80 range.
Just wondering what more experienced archers think ?
Old 11-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

What bow are you shooting?

Are you shooting with a release?

If you're shooting a modern compound bow, especially an aggressive cam, high speed model, then most of the charts aren't accurate for your bow, or will have guidance which says, "if shooting faster than 280fps, move over one and down one on the chart" which typically bumps you up a spine stiffness in most brand. If you're shooting with a release, there is virtually no negative consequence from shooting arrows "too stiff."

So IF you are shooting a high speed bow, OR you are shooting a release, then you'll likely either be better off, or not affected at all to increase you spine stiffness. I would personally shoot the stiffer shafts (the 65/80).
Old 12-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you're shooting a hard cam bow I'd go with the heavier arrows. I was having a similar issue with my Mathews Chill. Although my arrows flew OK I shot my friends which were the next spine heavier and my accuracy increased. I lost a bit of speed but made up for it in KE. BTW I think you may be referring to Gold Tip arrows which have now gone to the standard spine designation used by the other manufacturers.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Yep agree with the others. Its better to be over spined than under
Old 12-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Guys