Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How to hide human scent while hunt >

How to hide human scent while hunt

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to hide human scent while hunt

Old 12-02-2016, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
lol.no, I wouldn't do it. but I actually do know folks that rub deer and elk feces on their cloths. they swear it helps and it probably does but I would rather go home empty handed.
besides that I just work the wind and don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.all the scent reduction in the world can be undone by one good fart.
maybe instead of rubbing it on you can put the poop in some small bags and hang it off your hat like a christmas ornament ?? lol
Old 04-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Spike

my secret to odor is keep clothes in a air tight container I take gallon freezer bags and scoop up leaves nuts dirt and cedar shaving in it seal put holes in it put in clothes container get from area around stand but the main thing I use is arm and hammer baking powder it kills odors in fridge clothes etc read a box I am 68 and never harvest a deer over 50 yds have got them at 5 yds also break cedar or pine branches and rub on clothes
Old 04-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never taken any kind of extraordinary precautions to hide or eliminate human scent. I have been hunting for 58 years and I haven't added up the number of deer I killed but it is more than a few. I would suspect that at least 85 percent pf them were killed while I was smoking a cigarette. There is no such thing as being scent free unless you hunt inside a plastic bag and learn how not to have to breathe. A lot of people are making money from scent free laundry detergent and scent lock clothing and scent killing spray. If a hunter uses one of those products and kills a deer they believe they were successful because of it and laud the product to everyone they talk to. Hunters and fisherman will fall for any product that promises better success. The only real success is for the people selling the products. There is an old saying, fishing lures catch a lot more fishermen than fish, the same goes for hunters.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I once had the brilliant idea of using cow poop for cover scent. Stepped in it on the way to stand. Climbed up in to tree and hunted. All was great and dandy until I had to climb down grabbing each step with my hands! Only tried it once.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 05-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

I know a very successful hunter and guide that is a member on here and he uses vanilla extract. I haven't tried it myself yet but plan to give it a shot. Not like its too expensive and maybe I can talk the wife into baking a cake with it too boot
Old 05-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

That would not be legal in PA and perhaps other states. That is not a cover scent, it is a food attractant which is considered bait in may places.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just keep yourself clean if you use something foreign to the area a smart mature animal will know something different not right. Clean,clean,clean !
Old 05-02-2017, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by robinhood333
do you mind to elaborate on that a little?
Scent reduction- theless you smell the closer they have to be to smell you. Not only a good thing for that day but good for keeping deer in the area long term.

Cover scent- crazy concept imo. Deer live in nature....even if natural scents covered up human scent you wouldn't need to buy it because its already there. There is already pee, dirt,cedar etc all over the deer woods and picking out the smells that don't belong is what deer do.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent point Rockport. I've heard an analogy regarding a deer's nose that goes like this. When a human smells vegetable soup they smell the soup. A deer smells the corn, peas, carrots and anything else in it. So a cover up scent is just a money maker for the company.
Now I've used deer scents and curiosity scents with good results but I must stress when used at the proper times. Just prior to the rut a buck scent can work magic. Any buck in the area wants to check out the new guy to see if he's a threat to his does.
But most of the time I believe no scent is the best scent. Stay as clean as possible and use the wind. The wind can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.