Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 VFT, Parallel Limbs, at what point... >

VFT, Parallel Limbs, at what point...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

VFT, Parallel Limbs, at what point...

Old 10-24-2003, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default VFT, Parallel Limbs, at what point...

At what limb angle does VFT ensure the bow sits in your hand as opposed to jumping forward?

My hornet was produced in 2000, just ahead of the VFT craze. At the time, it was advertised as having laid back limbs to reduce recoil, which it does. The limb angle is 55*, and there' s just a bit of forward jump.

Just curious at what point limb angle takes care of this...
Old 10-24-2003, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: VFT, Parallel Limbs, at what point...

My hornet was produced in 2000, just ahead of the VFT craze. At the time, it was advertised as having laid back limbs to reduce recoil, which it does. The limb angle is 55*, and there' s just a bit of forward jump.

Everything is awesome at 55.1 degrees, or more. Face it, you need a new bow.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I' ve been setting myself up for that...

Old 10-24-2003, 11:13 AM

When the ' 02 BowTech Patriot single cam bow was introduced, it was stated that the limbs were set at a 44 degree angle. I believe the 44 degree angle is measured at the limb pocket. It may look like the limb angle is greater than that , looking at the bend in the limbs while at brace. Measure the geometry at the pocket and not on the limb near the axle
Old 10-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

It' s not so much the angle itself, altho that does come into play...It' s the overall configuration. Cam design, brace, ATA---all have a part. It does get very technical and varies from design to design.

Remember, one can have too " flat" of a limb also, and that will also rob performance. To find the exactly perfect combination for a given configuration takes much trial and error. Pinwheel 12
Old 10-25-2003, 12:12 AM

I believe I read when the Patriot came out that they tried many different limb angles and over 100 different limb preloads before settling on the production model Patriot. I' ve still got my ' 02 Pat and it' s a sweetheart of a shooter. I changed the grip to a very slender one which helped the top heavy feel but I still love the way it shoots and feels. BowTech hit a home run with this one
Old 10-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pinwheel nailed it. It' s a combination of things including angles, riser, cams, pre-load etc.

I won' t mention names, but I had a bow this summer that was a long riser short limb " VFT style" bow from one of the big manufacturers, and it had noticeably more recoil and vibe than my PAT set up apples to apples. And it was also 24 FPS slower.

Didn' t keep it long
Old 10-27-2003, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same thoughts here. Though the long riser/parallel limb design probably does help to eliminate a good amount of recoil, the bow could still potentially be " jumpy" due to such things as cam timing, etc...