Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Beginner help

Old 03-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Spike

Default Beginner help

I'm looking to get into archery, I'm 16 and looking for a good beginner #50 or adjustable compound bow and wondering how to find my draw length.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

For a beginning archer/bowhunter I would strongly suggest you go to an archery pro shop. One with an indoor range that will allow you to shoot several different bows.
And another thing, don't get caught up in the speed craze. When you select a bow pick one that feels good to you and you're comfortable with. For a new shooter, 50# is a lot of draw weight. You use muscles you've likely haven't used before. You might want to consider a bow in the 35-50 adjustment range. Here too a good pro shop will help you develop good form and not start off setting in bad habits.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i totally agree with bronko go to a pro shop with a professional not some store with a teenage don't know anything kind of salesperson . you didn't mention how big you are so that will dictate to a degree what draw weight bow they will set you up with. start with a draw weight you are comfortable drawing and shoot for a month or so every day and build your strength and keep moving up in weight until you reach your desired draw weight. i am 6-2 and 250 lbs and i only shoot 63-65 lbs it's plenty of weight to kill a animal and arrows shoot pretty flat out to about 40 yards. i hope this helps a bit!!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd also suggest if you have pretty much "standard" or "average" draw length to be SURE and choose a bow with at least 7" brace height and smooth pulling cam/s instead of the speed bow type he warned you against. Most of the time speed bows have radical cam/s and a very low brace height for longer power stroke. They can be felt to have full weight pre cam rollover longer and a shorter wall. The shorter the brace height, the harder it will be to shoot accurately and aiming/holding errors will be magnified. The bow itself won't be any less accurate, but it WILL be VERY sensitive to torque and aiming errors or wobbles. After you do get a bow, any bow, I'd suggest you shoot a maximum of a couple dozen times or perhaps even a max of 3 dozen times per day. Shoot more days but less per practice session. This will help you gradually work up in weight and will help you develop muscle memory. Make SURE you practice using perfect form EVERY shot, and don't rush the shot or allow yourself to be a victim of target panic. Too high of poundage, too radical of cam/s, too short brace height, and trying to shoot too many times until you start getting shaky will induce target panic and you'll discover yourself trying to rush the shot, or not adhering to perfect form.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

another suggestion if you don't have a friend that shoot's see if there is a archery club you can join they can help you develop proper shooting technique if you don't start out right you will develop bad habits on that note alway's remember loose grip on your bow it will almost fall forward when you shoot consistent knocking point so memorize where your knuckle rests on the side of your face and follow thru on your shot which means don't try to look before you shoot. let us know how your doing .
Old 03-14-2016, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

He bud check this link out it has a ton of info that will help you out.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/compoun...ring_help.html
Old 03-14-2016, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah a good consistent anchor point is EXTREMELY important, and a part of the form I was talking about. Personally I have 3 definite things that I bring string/hand/release back to to ensure consistency. I let the bow string part my nose directly in middle, right trigger finger on the right corner of mouth (right handed), and looking through the peep all together helps me to bring it back to the same exact place every time and keep from canting my bow.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Spike

Bronko gave you great advice