Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Fletching and Rest Type >

Fletching and Rest Type

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching and Rest Type

Old 10-11-2015, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I consider when someone smartens up and replaces a Biscuit with something better (dang near anything) and I see their groups improve dramatically then yes I have to assume it was the part.
As much as I like NAP products, about the only rest I've found worse that a whisker biscuit was then NAP Quik Tune rest. The one with the lower prong and the brushes 60* either side of it. With 4" helical vanes it was dang near impossible to shoot through that thing without some type of fletching contact. At least the WB contacted ALL the fletching ALL the time!
Old 10-12-2015, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
As much as I like NAP products, about the only rest I've found worse that a whisker biscuit was then NAP Quik Tune rest. The one with the lower prong and the brushes 60* either side of it. With 4" helical vanes it was dang near impossible to shoot through that thing without some type of fletching contact. At least the WB contacted ALL the fletching ALL the time!
Yeah that thing is really bad and I'm also a NAP fan.

Last edited by rockport; 10-12-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes Rock, having come from a traditional background I keep a finger over my arrow out of years of habit. Now as far as the inconsistency question, as Bronko stated, I consider when someone smartens up and replaces a Biscuit with something better (dang near anything) and I see their groups improve dramatically then yes I have to assume it was the part. When using most all carbons, those bristles get worn if you are shooting as much as one should. Not to mention the fletch problem. Wrinkled up fletchings cause poor flight as well. Same thing with "horizontal wear" of those bristles. No way they could wear evenly so you have one side weaker than the other which will turn an arrow. Again, all this is based on shooting as much as one should shoot throughout the year to remain on top of your game. Sadly there are too few people that actually practice that much.

Maybe what you and many others call "shooting fine" is quite a bit farther from my definition of "fine". If I'm not busting nochs at 20-40 yards my equipment isn't tuned properly. Call me a perfectionist (it's actually quite accurate) but I am of the same mind with my firearms and my archery equipment. If I can't tune a round to at LEAST MOA for a firearm then I work on it till it can.
Well I think its one thing to say its not as perfect as you want it to be. I would agree with that. That is where the hunting part comes in. Everything is relative. For example I can shoot more accurate at a target with a 3/8 peep but it is terrible for hunting IMO.

I don't shoot deer over 30 yards because after that the deer start moving between the release and the impact which is a much bigger deal than a 1-2" inconsistency.

I personally think the hunting equipt is favoring target shooting way to much these days.

Perfection is very relative.

I personally think teaching people to compromise their grip on the bow by drawing with their finger on the arrow is way more problematic than the WB at what I consider hunting ranges for whitetail.

To me down in the timber at last light shooting deer at 20 yards a WB, 1/4" peep, and 2" sight aperture is a pretty good combination.
The setup that gets you the best consistency at a lit shooting range or target is far from the best equipt for that situation

Last edited by rockport; 10-12-2015 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't really teach to hold the finger over during the draw as much as keeping a finger over while moving the bow. Like when bringing it up to draw, begin the draw and dropping the finger to relaxed half open position compromises nothing. It's such an ingrained habit to me, I have one of those hold down dohickies and I STILL hold a finger over. Sad aint it
Old 10-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't really teach to hold the finger over during the draw as much as keeping a finger over while moving the bow. Like when bringing it up to draw, begin the draw and dropping the finger to relaxed half open position compromises nothing. It's such an ingrained habit to me, I have one of those hold down dohickies and I STILL hold a finger over. Sad aint it
Ive never really had a problem with an arrow falling off myself personally with any rest Ive used on a compound bow but yeah I reckon there have been times ive carried bows with my finger holding the arrow on.

Of course I draw my bow straight back with relative ease rather than waive it around in the air while trying to draw too much weight.

What rest do you shoot?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

QAD on my BowTechs, A Ripcord on my older Hoyt, off the shelf on my traditional's (with moleskin on the shelf of course ) Have some other compounds with TM hunter style from various makers. Those that want to learn finger draw with compounds rather than using a release are the ones that have the most difficulty with arrows falling off the rest during draw. Usually because they have picked a bow that is too short (Axle to axle). Or, as you said, pulling more than they should be and shaking like an epileptic on crack during the draw cycle.

I absolutely fell in love with drop away rests though. So much less tuning issues with them.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Yet there are still some guys that swear by them while others swear AT them
I'd bet they would vote for Hillary, too. LOL.

Seriously, I coach a girl that was shooting a WB when I first started with herat 9 years old. Three weeks into her lessons I removed the WB and put on a $20 GWS drop away on that had been given to me. Shooting Vegas (600) round she immediately went from a score of 320 to 385.

So much for the great WB and shooting around 550 now (11) she's way beyond the WB.

Me personally? I shoot a Code Red on my bows. I still have the WB in my junk box for those who don't know how to back the weight down to something they can control.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

QAD on my BowTechs, A Ripcord on my older Hoyt, off the shelf on my traditional's (with moleskin on the shelf of course ) Have some other compounds with TM hunter style from various makers. Those that want to learn finger draw with compounds rather than using a release are the ones that have the most difficulty with arrows falling off the rest during draw. Usually because they have picked a bow that is too short (Axle to axle). Or, as you said, pulling more than they should be and shaking like an epileptic on crack during the draw cycle.

I absolutely fell in love with drop away rests though. So much less tuning issues with them.
Yeah the drop away is no doubt better.

Let me ask you this though.....Can you shoot with a WB? I bet you can. I know I can destroy my own arrows just fine with a WB.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Yeah the drop away is no doubt better.

Let me ask you this though.....Can you shoot with a WB? I bet you can. I know I can destroy my own arrows just fine with a WB.
Well I would imagine I probably could considering I'm always screwing up and destroying arrows even with my traditional equipment shooting off the shelf and instinctive. The problem I have with WB's isn't so much how they perform INITIALLY but with their lack of longevity as well as the way they destroy fletchings.

When you stated earlier "I personally think the hunting equipt is favoring target shooting way to much these days. Perfection is very relative" it irritated me a little until it dawned on me what your point was. And I can agree with it somewhat. My belief is that we owe it to the animals that we hunt to be UTMOST in our skills and abilities to deliver the cleanest and quickest kill shot that we can. To that end I practice to the extent that I have to replace strings every year. It's also why I'm sitting here on my butt instead of out there cracking on a deer from a blind because I didn't get much practice this summer. Sucks when my rules get in my own way! But when my kids were growing up I always made them get out there and practice at MINIMUM 2 times a week all year long with a minimum of 100 arrows per practice. I've never been one to propose the old "do as I say not as I do" thing to my kids. I missed about 9 weeks of practice and still have a little difficulty drawing even 65# so me no git to smackum deer this year But back to the point, my equipment is top tear for a reason. Not for bragging rights or any type of advertising. I test LOTS and LOTS of archery products throughout the year to make absolutely sure that when that opportunity presents itself, I can lay the smackdown on a deer with no worries about anything. Precision equipment and diligent practice make that possible. Putting a piece of junk on my bow that I have absolutely NO confidence in it's longevity and precise accuracy makes no sense. It seems many more people are actually starting to wake up to the poor design of the WB. Granted yes it serves a purpose but there are so many other ways to eliminate the arrow falling off the rest without hindering accuracy it's just too hard for me to figure out why anyone would use one.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I would imagine I probably could considering I'm always screwing up and destroying arrows even with my traditional equipment shooting off the shelf and instinctive. The problem I have with WB's isn't so much how they perform INITIALLY but with their lack of longevity as well as the way they destroy fletchings.

When you stated earlier "I personally think the hunting equipt is favoring target shooting way to much these days. Perfection is very relative" it irritated me a little until it dawned on me what your point was. And I can agree with it somewhat. My belief is that we owe it to the animals that we hunt to be UTMOST in our skills and abilities to deliver the cleanest and quickest kill shot that we can. To that end I practice to the extent that I have to replace strings every year. It's also why I'm sitting here on my butt instead of out there cracking on a deer from a blind because I didn't get much practice this summer. Sucks when my rules get in my own way! But when my kids were growing up I always made them get out there and practice at MINIMUM 2 times a week all year long with a minimum of 100 arrows per practice. I've never been one to propose the old "do as I say not as I do" thing to my kids. I missed about 9 weeks of practice and still have a little difficulty drawing even 65# so me no git to smackum deer this year But back to the point, my equipment is top tear for a reason. Not for bragging rights or any type of advertising. I test LOTS and LOTS of archery products throughout the year to make absolutely sure that when that opportunity presents itself, I can lay the smackdown on a deer with no worries about anything. Precision equipment and diligent practice make that possible. Putting a piece of junk on my bow that I have absolutely NO confidence in it's longevity and precise accuracy makes no sense. It seems many more people are actually starting to wake up to the poor design of the WB. Granted yes it serves a purpose but there are so many other ways to eliminate the arrow falling off the rest without hindering accuracy it's just too hard for me to figure out why anyone would use one.
Maybe it is time to think about a cross bow permit. I have lots of nuts and bolts in my body and could get a crossbow permit. I'm not yet because I want to bow hunt not cross bow hunt and I'm sure you feel the same way but at some point(when its keeping you from hunting) isn't it time? To at least have the permit/option?

You better get used to "do as I say not as I do" because it is inevitable. At some point(maybe now) you are simply not going to be able to do the things you want/expect your kids to do. Like shoot 200 arrows a week all year long. I have no disc left in my back my spine is bone on bone. I have some bones fused together but they can't fuse them all and there are lots of things I can't do any more that I still expect my kid to do.

We only have so many hunting seasons.....get out there and hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.