Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
65% or 80% let off, which do you choose? >

65% or 80% let off, which do you choose?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

65% or 80% let off, which do you choose?

Old 02-01-2002, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 65% or 80% let off, which do you choose?

I'm thinking about sending my Hornet back to Diamond for a string/cable change and general tune job, will ask them to install the 29" draw module as well, since our local shop burned to a crisp...

While I'm at it, If possible, I'm considering having the let off module changed to 65%. When you guys order your bows, do you usually go with the 65% module? I'm not concerned about P&Y, I just think the 65% would feel more solid at draw, and give a better feeling release. Whatch ya think?
Old 02-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 65% or 80% let off, which do you choose?

Range-

You already said it.

"more solid at full draw"

With 80% and shooting rather high poundage, you can really get the "rip your shoulder off" feeling if you creep forward a little bit at full draw. It's such a drastic change in the ramp up with 80% letoff. Keep in mind this will depend on the draw force curve of the cam system as well....

For hunting it may be nice to have more letoff in case you get stuck with a deer eyeing you up while at full draw and you need to hold for a while. But I don't see any need for me to go over mid-60's in draw poundage to hunt any North American animal. So even then, 65% letoff isn't hard to handle.

For any target shooting, I'll take the lower letoff for a more solid BT release that doesn't feel so light at full draw.

Just my opinion- Best of luck-
Old 02-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Add to that...

80% is harder to shoot as accurately as 65%. Holding fewer pounds at full draw makes it easier to torque the bow and cause it to angle away from the string's plane of travel. That causes an arrow to do all kinds of wierd things, even from a well tuned bow. Not so much of a problem until you on your cold weather gear, and your gloves cause you to get more palm into the handle than normal.

An extra bonus is you will more than likely pick up a few feet per second in arrow speed and kinetic energy because 65% stores more energy than 80%.

If you've been shooting 80% for a long time, then 65% is going to feel pretty heavy until you get used to it. But I think it's worth it in the long run.

Sorry to hear about your pro shop. Hope they can rebuild.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just talked with Gary at Diamond Archery. They'll install a new string and cable (#8125), slap on a 65% let off module, check the bow over and tune everything back to factory new condition and ship it back to me same day, for $25!!! Great people, great company... He said they are moving their website, so it's currently down, so the link I listed yesterday won't work. He also said they plan to do some advertising this year. I hope they do, they build a great bow. In addition to their new line of bows for this year they have a cam module that he says gives the feeling of drawing a 2 cam bow. More valley, easier force draw curve, but you give up a little performance. I asked him about the nock travel of the Hornet, he said it was straight, and almost level, close enough that they recommend you set the bow up at 90* to the string... Check these bows out if you're in the market. They put out a quality, quality product...

Edited by - Rangeball on 02/01/2002 14:16:29
Old 02-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

65%. For all of the reasons above, Art hit my favorite reasoning to a "T". Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 02-01-2002, 02:18 PM

State of Oregon makes it easy for us here. Anything over 65% is against the regs. Fortunately for me I have no problem with that, but then I'm only pully 62#.

Steve
Old 02-01-2002, 02:38 PM
8PT

Hey Rangeball, just wondering if you ever tried tuning the cam to see the difference like you were asking about a while back. I fine tuned mine a couple of twists the other day and smoothed out the breakover quite a bit and even picked up about 3fps in the process. Gary is a great guy along with Josh and the rest of them a Diamond. How many other companys can you get that kind of services direct from at those prices? Can't even buy a string or cam/module for that price hardly much less installed and tuned. Most of them don't even like to talk direct to the bow owner. Just wish they were not so busy making other peoples stuff to where they could market their own more. Fine bows but not widely known and great people.

Tommy
Old 02-01-2002, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

8pt, I sure haven't, I need a bow press bad... I've got the plans downloaded, and building one is on my to do list... That's why I want to send it back to them, to make sure it's done right, then I can make timing marks to keep an eye on things... I agree, good good guys and top notch customer service... If I ever need a new/nother bow, they'll get first look.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

All the other bow companies whose customer service I've had dealings with are definitely second rate compared to that.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:40 PM

If you use 80% can't you hold longer for your shot?

Quick Reply: 65% or 80% let off, which do you choose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.