Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Lost Energy

Old 08-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lost Energy

I shoot a PSE x-force dream season set at 68lbs 28.5 in draw. I use easton acc 3-71's. My total arrow weight including 3 blazer veins and a 6in arrow wrap 100 grain wac'em triton xl 3 blade is 444 grains. While this setup is prolly more than I need for whitetail deer, like most of archers I am always looking to improve. Over the last few years I have noticed that with this setup I blow right threw the deer and bury 6-10inches into the ground once it passes threw. I am very comfortable with the setup and the arrows. Is there any way that I can use up more of the energy while it's going threw the deer than using it to drive it into the ground? Seems like im wasting energy. Would a bigger cutting diameter broadhead solve this? Any info would be very helpful.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you're comfortable shooting the bow as is and it's in tune why would you want to change? Yes a bigger cut will use more energy on impact but if your current BH flies true then I suggest you don't change. One day you may hit the shoulder bone and want that extra energy for more penetration.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing you can do to the bow to improve the momentum transfer (Newton's law is about conservation of MOMENTUM, not energy).

The mode of momentum transfer is impact and friction.

So you can:

Convert to a punch cut head to get more impact, which also tends to create more local trauma along the wound channel.

Add blade length (cutting edge length) by either using MORE blades or longer blades.

Or dull your blades. I wouldn't recommend this one, but it'll do more ripping instead of cutting, which means increased friction, so it'll shed momentum faster into the deer, instead of the dirt.

I'm a punch cut shooter, with big blade diameters. My bow draws with right at 100ft.lbs. and I get around 95ft.lbs. onto the arrow. I don't care to put all of that work on my shoulder if it's just going to go into the dirt.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you have too much energy go with a heavier broad head.
I've been shooting 60# 29DL 543gn arrows, with a 200gn Muzzy Phantoms FOC 17% and over 80 KE.... it's slow but I also blow through deer. I hit a buck a little high at 45 yards, knocked him off his feet broke the arrow on the pass through when it hit a tree at an angle. My Trad bows are even more radical, I don't care about speed, I care about KE.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lou I believe we are all saying the same thing only different words. Keep your higher KE if your comfortable shooting your present weight. A pass thru and stuck in the dirt is better than a bigger cut and non-pass thru. Your blood trail will be much better.