Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead Designs and Penetration >

Broadhead Designs and Penetration

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Designs and Penetration

Old 10-06-2003, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead Designs and Penetration

How do different broadhead designs affect penetration? Thanks to anyone that helps
Old 10-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broadhead Designs and Penetration

Check out this link here and it has some info on the strength of many different kinds of heads 5shot on the forums done these test and done a great job I might add. http://www.american-hunter.com/broad...dhead_test.htm You can also do a search of the forums to get these but the link will take you to a different web site. As a rule cut on contact heads will penatrate best
Old 10-07-2003, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have personaly found that smaller heads penetrate better. I personaly feel it' s not so much how many blades, but the total cutting surface that dictates penetration. Cut on contact heads do seem to penetrate soft material better, while chisel tips do better in hard materials. The very best penetrating head has been the the Rocky tradition, while some of the " worst" have been large 4 blade designs. It a game of balance, choice a head that gives you enough penetration for a pass through on resonable shots, but does the Max amount of tissue damage on the way through.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like reading 5shot' s test reports. He gets right down to the nitty gritty with ' em. And it' s interesting to see how one head compares to another using his methods.

If you want a graduate level course and have several hours to spare, you can pick up a lot from reading Dr Ashby' s arrow lethality study, aka the Natal Study. Yes, it' s on a traditional site but that doesn' t mean it isn' t applicable to compounds as well.

www.tradgang.com/ashby/
Old 10-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]