Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow for 9 year old daughter recommendations >

Bow for 9 year old daughter recommendations

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow for 9 year old daughter recommendations

Old 10-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow for 9 year old daughter recommendations

I took my 9 year old daughter out shooting with me this weekend. I had a cheap toy compound that I had bought for my oldest daughter when she was young, but she never really showed much interest in it, so I didn' t push it. Whole different story with daughter #2...

I wanted to get some practice in from tree stand heights, so we went to a local park that is bordered on one side by a flood plain levee, worked perfect. Set my target up at 25 yards, walked to the top of the " hill" , simulated hunting between 15-20' up. I shot several times from 10-30 yards, enough to prove that my Savage Pendulum was up to the task, as advertised. As long as I do my part, the arrow is right there with the pin out to 30 yards. I didn' t shoot farther, as for my stands, 30 yards is a pretty far shot.

After I put my stuff away, we got out " her" bow (she already took it over )

Went through the basics, safety first, it' s a weapon, never shoot with someone in front of you, etc. Then showed her how to nock an arrow, cock vane out, string in the first grove of her three fingers (no pinky or thumb), relaxed vertical stance, feet slightly open, pull elbow straight back, anchor point, release and follow through. Within 5 minutes I turned her loose and she looked like she had been shooting for years. Form and follow through were EXCELLENT for a beginner. Only problem she had is the toy bow is a piece of excrement, and even if she was perfect, flight was all over the place.

I really praised her, explained it' s the bow, not her, and she proceeded to shoot for well over an hour. She even wanted to simulate hunting, so we set the target up in front of some bleachers at a baseball field, she got my true talker out, called them in and shot. It was a blast, and when we had to go, she didn' t want to stop.
She' s already asked several times when we can go again, much to her mother' s chagrin

So, I' m looking for a CHEAP bow that will allow her to continue to work on the fundamentals and actually pull of an accurate shot to reward her for good form. Bonus if the bow can also be used by the entire family, draw lengths from short to long

I' m thinking a light draw weight recurve or long type bow, like those fiberglass ones you see park districts use in archery programs (except around her, no such thing).

What would you recommend? And remember I said cheap... If I had the bucks, I' d get a Genesis and be done with it, fun for the whole family, but it' s not in the forseeable future...
Old 10-06-2003, 09:36 AM

Default RE: Bow for 9 year old daughter recommendations

Man there' s tons of used-cheap-good buys on Ebay for something like that. for every kid that gets a bow and loves it there' s a kid that gets one, shoots it twice and than it sits!

I' d check there first and while it may take a while to find the right one, I think you will and at a great price to boot.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:01 AM

have u checked out the mathews genisis ?? you might go to archerytalk.com and check out the classifieds to find a good used one
Old 10-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

And remember I said cheap... If I had the bucks, I' d get a Genesis and be done with it
Asa, yeah, I considered it, but...

Trushot, that' s where I intend to look first, once I figure out the type of bow that will best suit the intended purpose. Hopefully a steal to be had sitting there waiting for me
Old 10-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

RB
Also check out the Bowtech Rascal.
PDQ brought one for his son and he loves it and for a so called " kids" bow it is a screamer.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:35 AM

Sounds like you had a great time Range. I may have to forward this to my wife. She can' t seem to understand why I' m so eager to have kids. I spend as much time as I can with my 2 nieces & there' s just nothing like sharing your hobbies with the youngsters.

I don' t really have any advice to add. I do know that Browning (as well as many other manufacturers, I' m sure) offers some choices for younger shooters. They have some with a full 10" of draw length so the bow can grow with the archer. But minimum draw weight is around 40 lbs and price is probably a little higher than you' re looking for too. But it' s something to keep in mind for a few years down the road after she' s hooked on the sport.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeep and Aussie, I' ve looked at most kids compounds, but I don' t want to invest that kind of cabbage yet. I' m looking for something cheap that will reward repeatable form with a common point of impact.

Once she has the basics down and if she' s interested long term, there are a bunch of good bows to consider, but we' re not there yet.

Of course she did ask me last night if some people hunt deer " just for fun" . I asked her what she meant, and she said " I don' t like deer meat (thanks mom), I just want to hunt" . I told her about programs like hunter' s feeding the hungry, and she brightened right up and said " that' s what I' m gonna do" . She' s really on me to take her with me this fall, I told her she had to wait until after the first of the year, I' m thinking a good afternoon hunt out of a ground blind on a hot food source will be a good time, should at least see lots of deer, plus gives me adequate time to hopefully convince the wife hunting won' t turn her into a boy
Old 10-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

She' s really on me to take her with me this fall, I told her she had to wait until after the first of the year,
RB
Here is your chance to get her out into the woods I would not be putting it off.
The old saying strike while the iron is hot if she wants to go then take her ASAP[8D]

I have seen some Rascals on Ebay plus you could also put an WTB add over on Archerytalk as I have seen them 4 sale there as well.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably more than you want to spend, but something else to look at:

Parker Jr. Mag:
http://www.parkerbows.com/juniormag.html
Old 10-06-2003, 10:49 PM

I bought a Martin Tiger off of Ebay for $80 for my son. There are good deals out there.

Quick Reply: Bow for 9 year old daughter recommendations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.