Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 01-31-2002, 04:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-31-2002, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question for black frog or twin cam afficiandos

The only three "NEW" Dual cams that I hear anyone really talking about anymore (unless they own a little older bow) are the Hoyt's "Command Cams", Bowtech's "BK cams", and Merlin's (I think they're called "Whisper Cams? correct me if I'm wrong)........I've heard nothing but positive things about all 3.

The biggest positive probably being how QUIET these cams are when compared to the old "Hatchet" style cams like PSE's old "Maxis" cams etc. for the high performance each gives.

I believe the Hoyt and Merlin cams are available on a few different bow models while BowTech's is limited to just one for 2002.

I'd start there.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:24 PM
JPS

Whackmaster,
I dont know how the new High Country's are but I also have an Excalibur that I still shoot.I also have a Hoyt Ultatec with command cams and the Hoyt is twice as quiet as the Excalibur and both bows are decked out with Sims stuff.The Hatchet cams are faster than the command cams but I think they are harder to draw.If I had to pick between the two I would go with the command cams.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

whackmaster,

Besides the bows/cams Matt mentioned, Martin with their standard Fury and Fury X shoot-thru cams and Bowman with the similar but,imo, superior Wedel shoot-thru are the best twins around.
But unless you're a world class archer like Cousins, Despart, or Ragsdale. I doubt, you can tell much difference in accuracy between a one cam and a two.
You may notice the twin cam performs a little better if you're a field shooter and shoot long range shots.
The twin seems to stay tuned a bit longer but with the new string materials it's almost a moot point anymore.
For hunting purposes, I actually prefer the one cam because of the higher let-off.
Try out a few and decide for yourself.
No offence, you couldn't give me a High Country for free.
They're nowhere near the quality they used to be.

Sag.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

The guys have covered this well, Merlin offers solocams ONLY on their hunting models, NOT for their "pure" target equipment.Why? They feel they are better suited to target applications, the same as I do after shooting solos on a factory Staff for three years and watching my scores plummet. Merlin utilizes the now-standard "Rapid" cam on the Max 2000 and Lite Storm, and used to offer the "Whisper" cam on the Hunter's Quest but decided to drop the twin cam offering for their hunting model due to lack of sales.

The new "Supernova" will have a totally new twin eccentric system, with 1" drawlength adjustment and fine-tuning posts built into the eccentric. It will also offer 55-65% let-off options, AND the option of either a hard wall, or typical "mushy" wall much like the older target bows had. This option is a first in compound eccentric design. This will give the discerning archer a wide variety of options with which to configure his/her individual setup.

Twins are by far infinately more tunable than solos, and there is no comparason IMHO when setting them side-by-side to a conventional solocam. Yeah, there are people that shoot solos very welll with lots of practice, but for the most part solos have higher let-off, which promotes less accuracy due to human error, and also overbowing. The Darton CPS is currently IMO the "best of the solos", because it is a hybrid,not a conventional design, and it's attributes far outweigh it's conventional cousins. Twins are getting better and better as time goes on also, and are further progressed technically. Solos are still in their infancy, and I feel will evolve into some sort of perfected hybrid which will enable tuning properties similar or better than a twin in the future.

Twins for me, until they come up with this perfected hybrid. Just my own thoughts, Pinwheel 12
Old 02-01-2002, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

Pinwheel,

When will photos of the SuperNova be on Merlin's website ?
Or, can you post a pic ?
Thanks.

Sag.
Old 02-01-2002, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Geez, I guess I'm a little late answering! These guys have it well covered already-

I've never owned a BowTech, so I can't comment on them but have heard nothing but good things.

Martin makes very nice twins as well. I know Sag is loving his Bowman but I've never shot one so I'll have to let him sing their praises. I really like Hoyt's Command Cam Plus that are new for this year. I own a Merlin twin cam that I love- the Max2000 with a shoot through harness. Best bow I've ever owned. The ONLY reason I may think of parting with it is to upgrade to the new SuperNova when it comes out in a few months.

I agree that solos are not as 'tuneable' as a good twin system. That's not to say that they can't be as accurate- you give a top pro shooter any decent bow and he'll do well. But I need all the help I can get for target shooting accuracy, and for me that is a twin cam. I can put one-half twist in a cable of my Merlin and visually see the timing difference it makes on the cams- just as an example of how "fine" you can get with tweaking the tuning of a good twin.

Best of luck-
Old 02-01-2002, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Sag-

I hope to have pics soon, tho the bow will not be released until Vegas. Orders will commence after that. I'll let everyone know more when I can. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12