Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
bow service education??? >

bow service education???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow service education???

Old 02-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Spike

Default bow service education???

hello guys,I am new here and was hoping to get a little insight.I have became very interested in bowhunting in the last two years and after spending alot to set up and maintain my sons and my bows I want to learn to do it all myself and could use some help as to where to look to find out(books ect.).Any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks you!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't recommend any books in particular, but for what it's worth, I don't think bow tuning is best learned from books anyway.

What type of bow service are you looking to do? Unfortunately, not all service can be done by individuals, as some parts can only be purchased from authorized service shops, and then, in turn, those authorized service shops will insist on installing those particular parts themselves. Sadly, most bow manufacturers only grant "authorized service center" status to "authorized dealers", so unless you want to open an archery business, you're not going to have access to certain parts like limbs, cams, risers, bearings, modules in some cases, etc.

Youtube has a ton of resources these days for how to install strings/cables, rests, sights, etc, how to tune cables, rests, etc, how to serve in peeps, d-loops, etc, how to build arrows, paper tune, broadhead tune, etc etc etc.

Or asking specific questions at a place like this...

Apprenticing at a bowshop (a REAL bowshop, not the back room at Cabela's, Dick's, Gander Mountain, Academy, etc) is your best bet to get yourself "skilled up".

One really specific thing I might suggest: It's becoming less popular to let shops drill and tap a guys riser to install new sights and rests (unless bolts break off in the riser, of course). Things are getting more standardized, but it used to be common that if bolt patterns didn't match up for size that shops would re-drill and tap for the larger size. It takes a bit of precision, but i'm more a fan of using bushings to fit the larger hole sights/rests and using the smaller bolts that match the riser holes to mount.

But again, I'd suggest youtube for 90% of what you'll need to do for your bow.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Spike

thank you very much for the info.I will definitly check it out!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

What particular (specific) tuning/service are you looking to learn more about?