Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question about Vanes and Feathers >

Question about Vanes and Feathers

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about Vanes and Feathers

Old 09-29-2003, 08:27 AM

Default Question about Vanes and Feathers

Hello Everyone,

Does it matter if you use your target arrows for hunting. If I want to use my Easton A/C/C arrows with 2.5 inch vanes for hunting as well as target shooting does it really make a differenct. And if it does make a difference, what are the benefits of longer vanes or feathers on a hunting shaft.

I consider myself a great shot, with my arrows set up with the 2.5 inch vanes, and I would rarely shoot over 25 yards at a deer. I would think that these would be great for hunting as well as target arrows.

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this.

Thanks
Bill(WI)
Old 09-29-2003, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question about Vanes and Feathers

I would say that it depends on a few things. First, do you normally practice indoors where there is no wind. Or do you practice outdoors? Because you may find a difference going from indoors to outdoors with those vanes.

Next, do you plan on using mechanicals or fixed broadheads. The fixed may not fly the same as your practice arrows, and you may need to increase the vane size somewhat. If you are using mechanicals, then I would say that as long as you practice with that setup and find that it is working for you, then use it.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:43 AM

2.5 inch vanes might be fine for target points but I doubt they would be enough to stabilize any broadhead. Even if you were shooting mechanicals I think I would go with a larger vane. I consider myself to be a good shot but I would not consider hunting with such a small vane. Have you shot your A/C/C' s with a 2.5 inch vane and a decent broadhead in a strong breeze outside to see how they group?
Old 09-30-2003, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

The benefits to longer fletching is better resistance to the broadhead' s tendency to steer the arrow. Mechanicals are less prone to steerage than fixed blade heads, but they are not immune. You MIGHT could get away with 2.5" vanes and mechanicals. Frankly, I don' t see the logic in taking such a risk when shooting an arrow with lethal intent at a living creature.