Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Shooting Aluminium arrows in modern bows >

Shooting Aluminium arrows in modern bows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting Aluminium arrows in modern bows

Old 09-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting Aluminium arrows in modern bows

My brother just bought a Mathews Outback bow and is in the process of having it set up. He was wanting to know if he can shoot his alum 2315's in his new bow after having them cut down to fit the new draw length. He will be shooting 29" D/L at 66-70lbs. I have a dz of Black Hawk Vapor 4000 that I have sitting ready to go I had made up for me that I was going to spot him to get him going for deer season. What ya'll think?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

prob CAN..but why? soon as you shoot one into a target you have the possibility of bending the aluminum ones...then its no point using it again...
Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 2315's should be properly spined for that bow set up (0.340"), assuming he's not leaving them too long, and assuming he's shooting 100grn broadheads (may have an FOC problem however). They'll be about 50-60grns heavier than a properly spined carbon arrow would be, so they'll be fairly slower.

If memory serves, the Blackhawk Vapor 4000's are a .350" spine, so they'd be fine as well. The Carbon arrows would be more resilient, but other than sacrificing speed, I don't see any reason why his aluminums won't work. Not ideal, but they'll work.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The 2315's should be properly spined for that bow set up (0.340"), assuming he's not leaving them too long, and assuming he's shooting 100grn broadheads (may have an FOC problem however). They'll be about 50-60grns heavier than a properly spined carbon arrow would be, so they'll be fairly slower.

If memory serves, the Blackhawk Vapor 4000's are a .350" spine, so they'd be fine as well. The Carbon arrows would be more resilient, but other than sacrificing speed, I don't see any reason why his aluminums won't work. Not ideal, but they'll work.
Yes he will be shooting 100grn tips. I think that he will have them cut down to about 28"-29". He shot my Mathews Drenalin and I shoot 65lbs with GT Velocity XT 400's at 28" and they paper tune like a dream in my rig. I had the other arrows set back as back up. He has a Rip Cord Drop Away also.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hookeye
If they shoot good, use 'em.

On non drop away arrow rests the larger shaft OD can let you have more fletching setup options. I used to run a fair amount of offset on my helical feathered shafts and always got great BH flight. Yeah it cost me some speed, but I always blew through my deer.

Don't need as much space going from 5" to 4" these days though (ran 4" on modern gear, 5" on recurves, now run 4" on everything).
I will more than likely be fletching them up with 2-1/2" Sharks Tooth Bi-Delta vanes and a wrap. Thats all I have shot for over 20yrs now and have yet to not see them tune perfectly. Out perform Blazers all day long especially in Whisker Bisquit rests.