Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bear encounter

Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Spike

Default Bear encounter

ok i have a bear encounter and looked it up mines set at 60 but i saw the max draw weight is 70 but is that only with different cams if any one is familiar with it can you help me out i tried lookin it up but couldn't find that out
Old 08-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Spike

Shouldn't need different cams. Its adjustable from 45-70 lbs with the factory cams according to Bear. I run mine a 60 as well though, shoulder starts to feel the burn with anything more, lol
Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

tighten the bolts where the limbs meet the bow to make the draw weight go up, loosen it to make draw weight drop. i'm not familiar with that model but every bear bow i've touched, that is how you adjust the draw weight.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Spike

perfect thanks. im not gunna adjust it myself cuz id probobly hurt myself but definatly going to a shop. thanks again
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Mine cranked all the way down was 75 lbs! I shoot it at 65 lbs though.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ngarcia11892
perfect thanks. im not gunna adjust it myself cuz id probobly hurt myself but definatly going to a shop. thanks again
Good plan. When it comes to archery, if you don't know, then don't mess with it.

When you're adjusting your draw weight, it's usually recommended that you press the bow, although most hunters don't bother. It is also necessary that you keep the limb tensions balanced, especially with a solocam bow (equal turns =/= equal limb tension). A good shop should be able to balance your limbs, then have you draw the bow and balance your tiller.

A lot more to it than just turning the same number of revolutions from "fully tight".

BUT, LET'S BACK UP A BIG STEP....

Why are you wanting to increase your draw weight from 60-70?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Good plan. When it comes to archery, if you don't know, then don't mess with it.

When you're adjusting your draw weight, it's usually recommended that you press the bow, although most hunters don't bother. It is also necessary that you keep the limb tensions balanced, especially with a solocam bow (equal turns =/= equal limb tension). A good shop should be able to balance your limbs, then have you draw the bow and balance your tiller.

A lot more to it than just turning the same number of revolutions from "fully tight".

BUT, LET'S BACK UP A BIG STEP....

Why are you wanting to increase your draw weight from 60-70?
Great question.

Unless you can really stack them on the X, and you are planning on hunting in Alaska or Africa or something, I wouldn't see any need to go up to 70 lbs from 60.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Spike

I just figured if i had some more speed id have a flatter trajectory and would have alittle lee way if i misjudge distance some.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ngarcia11892
I just figured if i had some more speed id have a flatter trajectory and would have alittle lee way if i misjudge distance some.
not going to make much of a difference past 60lbs in my opinion...