Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
New to archery...bow sight? >

New to archery...bow sight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New to archery...bow sight?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Spike

For anyone to say that a level on their sight is pointless knows nothing about tuning a bow. A level is needed if you want to stay consistent especially when shooting up hill, down hill, or even out of a tree stand.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jb - the gentleman already stated that he doesn't believe in tuning his bow in an earlier post. And he must be awful lucky with his set ups. I've been bow hunting for over 45 years and shooting a bow for a lot longer than that. And truthfully I never tuned either and shot deer, lots of deer with my bows. But about 7 or so years ago I started learning about tuning a bow and my accuracy and maximum lethal range has improved dramatically. And I never have to adjust my sights when I switch from FTs to BHs. As for the level, my sight has one but I do not use it and I still practice out to 70 yds using my lowest pin and still get good accuracy.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

I also think Form is a major factor. Someone with better form can get away with a lot more than someone with poor form. Hookeye may not need a level because he is always standing correct and has a perfect anchor point. I can directly tell how "lacking" my form is by my shots. Concentrate hard on getting my stance and frame correct and Im a much better shot.

Im a firm believer the bow is only 10% of the equation, the rest is shooter based.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will find your on way with time. Take their opinions as guidance to help you get there. I shoot one pin also. Have tried the multi not for me. I have a sight level on mine also. Never pay it any attention. I know when I torque a shot.

Last edited by AR Bowhunter; 08-11-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Spike

You may not think that you can level your sight on other axis but you can and its called 3 rd axis. There is plenty of literature on this subject and all the top archers use it and talk about it. I also own my own shop and attend 3-D tournaments and seminars throughout the year.
I'm not saying I know it all and I would be the first to say that I don't but I don't understand how someone can say an archery sight does not need to be leveled. It does t make sense to me.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

All this talk about levels and multiple pins and the third axis and trans-dimensional tuning for hunting the likes of Yog-Sothoth and I'm shooting a bow with no sights and consistently putting up good groups.

Sounds like the answer is to go traditional and not look back... glad I made the switch. I tinkered so much with compounds over the years that I've probably let more arrows fly from my recurve that I've had for 6 short months.

Really though, in a normal hunting situation with a compound, what more do you need than one pin or 3? If you can't shoot your bow without a level, your form is off.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

With this topic in mind, last night I did some experimenting using my PSE DNA. I have a TruGlo Extreme 5 pin sight with pins set from 30 - 70 yds. Using my normal grip I shot a 5 arrow group at 30 and a 5 arrow group at 70. And then repeated. I checked my level for each shot and the bubble was slightly left of center for each shot but I did not make any effort to level. In both instances my 30 yd group was dead center and approximately 2" right of center at 70 yds. I took a rest so that fatigue wouldn't be a factor and shot another group a each distance. But this time I made an effort to ensure the bow was level. The effect of leveling the bow cause me to put some minor torque in the grip which had a negligible effect at 30 yds but at 70 yds my group size doubled from 4" to over 8". So IMO, why should I change my grip which is comfortable, provides zero torque to the bow, and gives me excellent grouping and accuracy at ranges far in excess of an ethical bow shot at game just so my level bubble is centered?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
With this topic in mind, last night I did some experimenting using my PSE DNA. I have a TruGlo Extreme 5 pin sight with pins set from 30 - 70 yds. Using my normal grip I shot a 5 arrow group at 30 and a 5 arrow group at 70. And then repeated. I checked my level for each shot and the bubble was slightly left of center for each shot but I did not make any effort to level. In both instances my 30 yd group was dead center and approximately 2" right of center at 70 yds. I took a rest so that fatigue wouldn't be a factor and shot another group a each distance. But this time I made an effort to ensure the bow was level. The effect of leveling the bow cause me to put some minor torque in the grip which had a negligible effect at 30 yds but at 70 yds my group size doubled from 4" to over 8". So IMO, why should I change my grip which is comfortable, provides zero torque to the bow, and gives me excellent grouping and accuracy at ranges far in excess of an ethical bow shot at game just so my level bubble is centered?
I think you'd literally have to start out shooting with a level or incorporate it when you're still working out your form.

For someone that's been shooting as long as you, I think the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" would apply.

Then again, I've never thought a level was necessary to become a proficient shooter.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I think that is the key statement. Its not that the bow was level, but the bow was consistent each time you shot. The level just helps a person stay consistent. All the level is, is an aid.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Spike

If you shoot on flat ground it doesn't matter that much that your bow is level. The third axis level helps in angled shots. Yeah if you have perfect form then I guess you don't need it, but I get customers that are good shots but can't shoot without a level because they may have some sort of physical restraint the makes it to weather or not they have perfect form. It's beyond their control, so they need the level. Therefore the third axis set up works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.