Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
New to archery...bow sight? >

New to archery...bow sight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New to archery...bow sight?

Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Spike

Default New to archery...bow sight?

So I just ordered a bow package and it comes with everything I need to start hunting. My local archery range has some 50 targets and up 90 yards away. The bow I ordered comes with a three pin sight. How would you guys set up this sight at the range...I'm sure I'll catch on fairly quickly (with regular practice) and want to shoot the further targets...well some of the targets are pretty far, one is at 80 yards...any advice is appreciated guys... I really want to get my skills up to a level were I wont be passing shots up as soon as possible...I will be hunting feral hog, blacktail, mule deer and rabbits
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

It really depends on what kind of shots you'll be taking most often.

I'd start with 20, 30 and 40 yard pins... I doubt you'll be taking many shots out to 80 yards at game (or 50 for that matter), so I would go with the 20/30/40 and practice, practice, practice.

Start practicing at 20 yards, get your groups within a couple inches and move out from there. Pretty soon you'll know which shots you're comfortable taking on game and which ones you aren't.

But, you can really set it up how you want. Compound bows are idiot proof once you've got your form down and the bow tuned... just put the pin on the target and let fly. If you want an 80 yard pin, go ahead and sight it in.

Last edited by Psylocide; 08-06-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

First I would ask what kind of bow are you shooting and what kind of speed are you getting? I used to always have my first pin set at 20 yds and the rest in 10 yd increments. However with my new PSE DNA I can set my first pin at 30 and only be a tad high at 20. My TruGlo 5 pin extreme sight is then set at 30 - 70 yds. I practice at the 60 and 70 yd ranges and but would never shoot an animal at that distance even though I would be capable of doing so. There is simply too much that can go wrong at that range. But practicing at those distances reveals any flaws in bow tuning or shooting form and makes you more confident in making the 20 and 30 yd shots.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Agreed with the others 20, 30, 40. All depends on the bow. Once you get good the sights will be the first thing or one of the first things you'll want to change. One other item you can add pins to the sights. It may come with 3 but there is nothing that says you can't add 2 more. FYI....
Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Good advice from Bronko about the 30 yard pin. Shoot your bow and see what it will do. Find out how far you can push a single pin -- makes things simpler. Then go further from there.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Spike

IQ Micro bowsight. Youll get 20+ yards over any other sight.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by WildGameChef
IQ Micro bowsight. Youll get 20+ yards over any other sight.
So the commercials say! A couple bowshops that I've been in said they are a bear to set up properly. And IMO nothing but good archery form, consistency, and proper practice will make you a better shot.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Spike

I wouldn't waste my money on an IQ bow sight. It's a hole lot of extra money spent on something that creates dependency, when you use that extra money on another accessory or nicer sight with 3rd axis set up which is very important to have.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hookeye...We all use what we want and like. In the environment I hunt a single moveable pin sight I'm sure would cost me an animal one day. Most of where I hunt is thick cover with openings here and there. A "target" may pop out at 20, 30, 40 or even more yards when I am in the tree stand and won't stick around long enough for me to adjust my sight. With a multiple pin sight I can draw and settle the correct pin on the target and release within a couple seconds. I don't see the multiple pin sights as being a distraction nor do they limit my field of view. But I guess that is why they make all sorts of sights - for different tastes.
As for the tuning aspect I've found that once your bow is properly tuned, as long as you stay with the same weight tip, be it a field point, mechanical, or fixed broadhead, all will hit the same point of impact. I can take any of my bows and shoot a field tip, Slick trick or Magnus Stinger fixed blade BH or a Rage mechanical and have either hit the same place.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
As for the tuning aspect I've found that once your bow is properly tuned, as long as you stay with the same weight tip, be it a field point, mechanical, or fixed broadhead, all will hit the same point of impact. I can take any of my bows and shoot a field tip, Slick trick or Magnus Stinger fixed blade BH or a Rage mechanical and have either hit the same place.
I agree. I never really thought of tuning my bow but after I did a proper tune my groupings dropped considerably. Ive got a basic 3 pin on mine20, 30, 40 and it works just fine for me, but Ive been thinking of switching to an HHA so that I shoot 3D targets farther.

Not saying anything against Hookeye, but personally I wont buy a sight without a level. The level shows if you are torquing the bow, which will cause a major difference in left to right POI.

Trijicon makes a sight I was looking at that is similar to the HHA and its the brightest sight Ive ever seen. Was getting ready to buy it and saw the price tag.... $500!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.