Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
New arrows need advice >

New arrows need advice

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New arrows need advice

Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 AM
Spike

Default New arrows need advice

Hi everyone I've just bought 20 fibre glass arrows an I was thinking about changing them into 4 lots of 5, so leave 5 as they are then change points on 5 vanes on 5 and then change point and vanes on another 5 but was just wondering if anyone had any idea on what type of points or vanes to use ???

Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Spike

Why do you want to change things on lots of 5? I would keep all arrows the same. Find the vanes and points you like, keep them all the same. What kind of bow are you shooting with these arrows?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Spike

I'm shooting recurve and I was going to try and find what would be beat for me as I shoot in the garden and field shooting so I shoot at different distances, just trying to see if anyone would have any sort of idea I mean if someone said about certain vanes and tips I'd give them a try just trying out some different things trying to find a happy medium for my shooting style
Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Spike

I see. Can't help much on traditional, i'm just getting back into shooting my recurve. With that said any 4" or 5" feather should work fine and I would try 100 grain and 125 grain heads to see which shoot better. Try posting this in the traditional section on here, lots of experienced people in there.

Last edited by badlandsgunner; 07-09-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, you are shooting a recurve not a compound with a scope for X's.

Unless you are Byron Ferguson, you are not going to be able to tell a difference when released from a recurve with fingers.

I suggest bright vanes so you can find them in the grass/leaves.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

AS far as fletching for shooting a recurve - definately feathers. 4" minimum but I would recommend 5". Left or right wing doesn't matter as long as you have the appropriate fletching jig for them. The Arizona EZ fletch is a great tool for fletching your arrows. But don't get the straight one. If you get one, get it with left or right helical and buy your feathers to match. Ebay is a great source for feathers.