Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Heavy or Light Arrow? >

Heavy or Light Arrow?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Heavy or Light Arrow?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:46 AM
Spike

The spine is 500, they are 29".
Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunter250
The spine is 500, they are 29".
I knew you'd get the terminology right. Yes, the spine is 500, quite good for your specs. Now quit listening to what other people tell you. Go hunting and find out for yourself how they work. Bring home some bacon.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Spike

Will do^ thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

The guys at Lancaster Archery know their stuff. It did sound a bit odd when you said you had 500 gr arrow. That's really heavy. But it was the spine rating. Go kill some hogs and deer (just don't hit the shoulder).
Good luck
Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just to be sure everybody is on the same page:

The "500" in the Easton Axis 500 name has nothing to do with the weight of the arrow. The 500 is a model number referring in this case to the SPINE of the shaft, i.e. stiffness. These have an arrow weight of 8.1grains per inch of shaft, for a 29" shaft with HIT inserts, X-nocks, and blazers, with 100grn points, you're looking at 380grn total arrow weight. Heavy for a 45lb bow, but good for hunting.

The problem I see is that for your length of arrow, tip weight, and bow draw weight, the Easton Axis 500's are on the verge of being underspined. They are RIGHT on the edge, but close enough that I would have jumped up to a 400. If you do see issues with arrow flexion, then you're lucky that your 29" arrows are too long for your draw, and cutting a couple inches off would bring you comfortably into the right spine specs.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Not to hijack the thread... but: Lower the number the stiffer the spine? Or do I have that backwards? And "typically" the heavier the draw weight the more spine is needed? Or do I have that backwards too?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Not to hijack the thread... but: Lower the number the stiffer the spine? Or do I have that backwards? And "typically" the heavier the draw weight the more spine is needed? Or do I have that backwards too?
Nope, you have it right Ohio.

Spine numbers are generated by hanging a 1.94lb weight in the middle of a shaft suspended at the ends 28" apart. The Spine number is the number of inches of deflection caused by the weight. So a 0.500" spine deflected 1/2" by the weight, whereas a shaft that only deflects 0.330" would obviously be stiffer.

The spine is critical when your bowstring pushes on the tail of the arrow. An overly flexible (underspined) arrow will flex too much and can push the nose of the arrow errantly, or at least have excessive whip on the tail, which robs you of speed. Flexible arrows also don't penetrate as well, the arrow bends when it hits the target rather than conserving all of its energy to force through. An arrow too stiff (overspined), on the other hand, "feels" more of the bowstring movement, so if your form isn't perfect, your follow through, or lack thereof, might effect your shot more than it would a properly spined arrow.

For me personally, with modern compound bows and releases, I'd rather shoot as stiff as arrow as I can get, and practice proper follow through.