Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow arm

Old 03-22-2013, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default bow arm

i saw a show over the weekend where they indicated you should lock your elbow on your bow arm. i was under the impression that you were to keep a slight flex in your bow arm. this was the PSE boys. anyone have any experience with the locked vs not locked elbow?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

I was told not to lock it because of the feedback or wahtever you want to call for when the bow shoots. Locked arm has higher recoil than bent that absorbs it. Also forearm string slap is prevented with bent arm.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
i saw a show over the weekend where they indicated you should lock your elbow on your bow arm. i was under the impression that you were to keep a slight flex in your bow arm. this was the PSE boys. anyone have any experience with the locked vs not locked elbow?
Everyone is different, but when I shot a compound bow, my elbow would be almost locked, but not fully. It's just not as comfortable or intuitive to fully lock the elbow.

I imagine shooting my recurve I'll have even more of a bend in my elbow, but we'll figure that out this weekend.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't lock my elbow shooting my compound bow...seems weird to lock it...
Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Never heard of anyone suggesting that you lock your elbow. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by VTBoneCollector
Never heard of anyone suggesting that you lock your elbow. Doesn't make sense to me.
I have to agree. My arm is slightly bent when shooting.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

I attended the PSE Shooting school in Tucson back in December with my daughter. We were instructed by PSE's Master Coach Alexander Kirillov. He never instructed us to shoot locked arm. He did have us bend the hold arm slightly but not locked out. He also had us hold the grip in the grove between the thumb and index finger and have the knuckles of the hand slant at a 45 so nothing else touched the grip but the single point of contact. Not sure why the PSE guy would tell you that.

If you lock the elbow it draws the fore arm into the path of the string which I never ever want hitting my arm again. Not a whimp but I AM OUT on that !!!