Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Favorite fletching for vanes...... >

Favorite fletching for vanes......

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Favorite fletching for vanes......

Old 09-20-2003, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Default Favorite fletching for vanes......

What brand and size for hunting? The past few years I have been using 4" , but seriously am considering 5" again, just for the added steering.

Also, what brand/type? Seems like Bohning is always ending up in my stable, never did get comfortable with Arizona Elite.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite fletching for vanes......

In the past, I got away using 4" vanes--with a slight right offset--on bemans with great results.

With my new bow and CE terminator selects shooting muzzys, I had to go to 5" vanes with a hard right helical to make them group tightly. The bow is tuned very well, but I needed this set-up for the best performance.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried a lot of differnt vanes and none are perfect. The closest I have come is the new Arizona speedflight vanes. These suckers are tough, low profile, and steer arrows great. The only problem is the are exspensive, about what feathers will cost you. The standard Bohning vane is now my 2nd choice. They are tough, and cheap. Not quite as low profile as the speedflight vanes but they work great with most rests. I have used duravanes and the Arizona plastifletch and both worked great, but after a time they do get " wrinkeld" and they will tear easy. On a price to quality ratio I think it' s hard to be the standard bohning vanes. I like 4" for most everything. I shoot shorter arrows and 100 grn heads most of the time. If I feel the need for a 5" fletch I go with feathers. Less wieght and even more control.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

The closest I have come is the new Arizona speedflight vanes. These suckers are tough, low profile, and steer arrows great.
5-shot, how are those vanes for broadheads? AAE, recommends them for target, 3-d.

I use the regular AAE Elite Vanes for broadheads and have had good success. I used to use the Easton Diamond vanes until they stopped making the 4.5 inch size. The only difference that I can see between the two are the glueing surface had a small lip on the Eastons that made them a little easier to glue on the shaft.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:27 AM

I currently use a Flex Fletch 4" vane. I have used the AAE, Duravanes, Marco-Mullen, Bi-Delta & bohning. I have found nothing to hold up as well as the flex fletch vanes, but they are a little more expensive. The Marco-Mullen vanes are also good and alot cheaper.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:47 PM

I' ve used marco' s and bohning vanes in the past. I use duravanes unless somebody asks for something different. they glue up easy and seem to last as well as the others
Old 09-23-2003, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bobco, the speedflite vanes work great for broadheads. I picked up my first pack becuase of there recomendation to use them for Whisker Bisquit style rests. They surely work well for this. They only come in the 4" size, which is what I use and my broadhead groups are great. So good infact it is very costly to try and shoot groups and closer than 40 yards, and even at that I will manage to slice a vane off now and then. These are by far the best vanes I have found for use in the WB style rests.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:43 AM

I use both 4 inch vanes marco and 5 inch feathers for 3D and hunting. I fine feathers to be the best all around, but must have something for those rain or snow days..
Old 09-23-2003, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks 5-shot. I was unaware of these vanes. I' ll have to give them a try next time I buy vanes. Right now, though I still have a lot of elites laying around.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:54 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I use 4 inch flex fletch vanes. They have held up the best for me. Pass throughs on the target doesn' t even wrinkle them. Expensive but well worth it.

Quick Reply: Favorite fletching for vanes......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.