Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Christmas Disaster >

Christmas Disaster

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Christmas Disaster

Old 12-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default Christmas Disaster

I have know clue how bad this is never had it happen before but I am sick?
I have had problem with my draw stop screw coming loose even with lock tight on.
I think it has become stripped in the thread so I had it off sitting on my bench. Here is where it went down hill I was showing family my new man cave yesterday when they were over for Christmas dinner. I left the room to get some Christmas cheer for us and I heard this weird sound from the room. When I got back in there was one my one of my cousins holding my bow with this sick look on his face and my bow string off the bow in his hand. He had picked up my bow and pulled it but with out the draw stop on he over drew it and he must have derailed it letting back down. He then repulled it to try and fix the string but it only maybe came to quarter draw or so they all said the string let go waaaaaaa!
Sorry I don't know string terminology but the inner strings that cross have become jammed in the cams and the draw string part where the peep sight is came right off and detached. One of the strings has a nick in it and will need replacing does anyone know what kind of bow damage may have happened is my bow wrecked? Also the limbs are still under tension should I back off the poundage till I can get to the bow shop tomorrow? I feel ill!!!
Thanks for any advice
Treebeard
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

time to head for a tek. what make is the bow? i had a major screw up with my martin pantera. took a week and it came back better than new!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Definately take it to your shop. Maybe nothing at all wrong with it. But may just need to be 're-wired'. Possibly a new cable and string. Longdraw is right about Martin Archery. I have a Firecat that I had a brand new string put on at the shop. When I took it home and started to shoot to sight it in the string exploded on me the same as a dry fire. The upper limb cracked. Martin replaced the limbs and cam system with their new cams and limbs. So now I basically have an Alien with a Firecat riser! The bow is faster and smoother now than it ever was.
I hope your cousin learned a lesson about touching someone else's stuff without permission?

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-27-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I removed the draw stop screw on my bow ('07 Vectrix) to have a "soft wall". Just personal preference.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Get it to the nearest shop, and don't tinker with it.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

As others have stated, leave it exactly the way it is until you can get it to a shop. With the cable wrapped up by the cams, you might not be able to see how much of the cables might be cut or if at all. The shop will put it on a bow press to safely take it apart to access if any damage is present. If anything, you might need to replace string and cables. This, unfortunately, is not cheap if you are buying premium ones.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Well looks like my bow and cams are ok but a complete new string and cable package is going to cost me around $150 after this no one touches my bow
Lesson learned ouch!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/arch...ml#post4031169