Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Recommendation for insert glue >

Recommendation for insert glue

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Recommendation for insert glue

Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Recommendation for insert glue

I'm having trouble keeping inserts in my arrows (carbon, 29" Gold Tip 5575). I used some Bohning hot-melt stuff. I'm shooting into bales made of carpet pieces compressed with metal strapping.

These last two weekends, I'd shoot a round of 6 and lose a tip & insert every other round of so. It didn't seem to matter if I was shooting at 20, 30 or 40 yds.

I shoot 2 bows, 70# and 65# and it seems to occur with equal frequency.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

First, did you clean the inside of your shafts and the inserts before installing? If so, what did you use? I use acetone for a cleaner--works great.

I've had great luck with 2-ton epoxy for gluing in the inserts. I've also used the short, fat hot-melt glue stick from Kustom King, and so far so good, but not enough shots on those to draw any real conclusions. It does work excellent with wooden shafts, but the jury is still out with carbon.

Chad
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard from a friend to try an alcohol lamp to heat the glue and insert. I used a candle.

Will try to clean the sharfts better too.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Use a good quality super glue and make sure that your field points are the same diameter as your arrow shaft. 5/16 would be the size for your gold tips.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

The absolute very best thing for 'gluing' inserts into carbon arrows is 2 part epoxy. You can pick it up at any hardware store or at Walmart. A 3/8" or so drop of each part, mixed well is enough to do a dozen arrows and applied lightly to the insert with a toothpick and pushed into the arrow and they will never come out. Just a bit of caution - don't use too much or wipe excess off immediately. And don't get any in the threads of your insert or you will have to retap it.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

I just use Super Glue "Gel" and havent ever had any issues with my Mackenzie or straw bails.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Using Bohning Platnium for my GT's Velocity XT 400's and no problems. Been using them for the past 8 months with over 1000 shots.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default No recommendation; had to check on the old glue

Good to check on glue I've been using for some 20 years. And I see what's going on in the carbon arrow world. A different world indeed from the aluminum or alloy arrow world.
Its amazing the changes to glue that I'd be lost with all the new ones.
One glue has changed a little and one is still available from my internet supplier. They worked so I never changed.

And my homemade targets of over twenty years are still made of softer foam, so I don't have a problem with firmer packed carpeting.

Thanks for the review assist on new and old glues. I needed it.

Last edited by Valentine; 12-07-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Spike

Bohning Ferr-L-Tite Cool Melt. Clean the shaft and insert with acetone or denatured alcohol.

NC
Old 12-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the epoxy resin is the best. Never comes apart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.