Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Solo vs. Twin

Old 09-11-2003, 12:35 PM

Default Solo vs. Twin

What is the biggest difference in twin cam and solo cam bows. Is accuracy, quietness, forgiveness better with one than the other? Thanks
Old 09-11-2003, 02:14 PM

Default RE: Solo vs. Twin

The main difference, in my opinion, is timing of the cams. Twin cam bows must roll over exactly at the same time to shoot their best.

Nock travel used to be a concern when the single cam bows came out, but I believe they fixed that problem.

I also don' t think that the twin cam bows have the speed advantage anymore. There are some very fast single cam bows out there.

I do know that the twin " hatchet" cam bows were alot more stout to draw, and had very narrow valleys, and required almost perfect form when combined with short brace heights.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:28 PM

Nock travel used to be a concern when the single cam bows came out, but I believe they fixed that problem.
......LOL........ Sorry Danny - I am not busting on you

You just made me laugh
Old 09-11-2003, 02:49 PM

You mean they haven' t fixed it??? LOL I didn' t know.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you get past all the advertising hype, myth and misconceptions, I think the biggest difference between solo' s and duals is that the single cam is quieter. You get the speed of a hard dual cam with the quietness of a round wheel bow.

I still like duals better though.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you get past all the advertising hype, myth and misconceptions, I think the biggest difference between solo' s and duals is that the single cam is quieter. You get the speed of a hard dual cam with the quietness of a round wheel bow.

I still like duals better though.

My thoughts exactly! Well , sort of. I' ve shot solo cams that were just as loud or louder than most dual cams. But the majority of them are quieter.

I prefer duallys myself!
Old 09-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer duals over singles cause I am greedy
Why have one when you can have 2

But seriously you can tune a dual cam better than you can a single cam
You can creep tune a dual but you cant creep tune a single.

Pinwheel 12 had a good post on this subject a while back you could try and do a search for it.
It was very good reading and made a lot of sense.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:06 AM

I have to disagree slightly.
#1 Singles have won Vegas (LOTS of people ate crow that day....then the next year when they did it AGAIN) poor shooting bows do NOT win Vegas. Singles have one on the 3-D range often enough as well (not that it' s just good at 20 yards). As far as creep tuning goes, it' s been a LONG time since I have creep tuned a bow. PERSONALLY, I don' t find it usefull for bows with a solid back wall.
#2 Level nock travel is both over rated...and NOT found on a 2 cam bow...dualies are normally a smoother line, but NOT level.
I have always said that there is NO inherent advantage to EITHER style that makes it THAT much better. TRUE, MOST single cam bows have a narrow valley, making it less forgiveing if you creep before the shot...but as mentioned, some 2 cam bows are the same way. It' s just a question of cam profile.
With modern strings, keeping a dual cam bow synched is getting easier than ever...these strings also make keeping your nock height adjusted just as easy.
Solo cam bows DO seem quieter.
All in all, BOTH will shoot better than most archers (as will the various cam & 1/2 bows) Shoot what works for YOUR style.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

I strongly suggest you do a search on solo vs twin, and maybe another on nock travel. You will get some good feedback on stuff that has already been discussed in detail.

Twins are better than solos in practically every technical area, and 20 yds is no true measure of accuracy to be honest--try the same at 80 yds and see what happens between the two. If I could learn how to move posts around on this messageboard I' d paste the reasoning why here for you. They have now upgraded conventional solos to the new wave of hybrids, already up to " cam .5" , etc., eventually they will re-invent the twin cam... In 2004 virtually every manufacturer will be offering a hybrid of some sort, and conventional solocams are destined for extinction now matter how much Matt McPhereson crys foul. Hybrids are simply that much better. Especially ones that DO offer straight and level travel. (cam.5 does not, but probably will for 2004)

This is what the crystal ball says. Technology moves forward. JMHO Pinwheel 12
Old 09-12-2003, 05:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

My opinion:

As stated, each and every cam style has their advantages and disadvantages. The key is to knowing what they are and applying it to what you are looking for in any given bow. In my experience, dual cam bows are

1. easier to fine tune which can potentially lead to...
2. slightly increased levels of accuracy
3. faster now that string materials have improved
4. generally offer a smoother draw cycle when equal speed ratings are compared

On the other hand, single cam bows are....

1. Quieter
2. Have a harder back wall and thus tend to aim better at full draw
3. Have less recoil/vibration
4. Do not have the issue of synchronization to worry about

Those are the major points that I think most people want to know about when comparing the two cam styles on any given bow.

Quick Reply: Solo vs. Twin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.