Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Pulling my bow, help! >

Pulling my bow, help!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pulling my bow, help!

Old 09-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Spike

Exclamation Pulling my bow, help!

Im 15 years old im about 6"0 130 lbs. i just bought a new bow, parker extreme, its set to 30' draw length and 50lb draw weight-which is its lowest- the day i got it, yesterday, i could not pull it, my shoulder was hurting the day before, and today i still have a struggle pulling, but when i pull with my left it is not that hard, plus im told my form is off, i pull my arm up and the set it down into anchor position, any help, or good things to do while i go to the gym?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

When you draw try pushing away from yourself at the same time as you draw it back.

Some people tend to "sky" the the bow when they have too much draw weight for them. Which means they aim it at the sky when drawing back.

Keep at it and build up those arms and shoulders. Gym isn't a bad idea either just do it right so you don't injure yourself.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 AM
Spike

its definitely not a "natural" movement. it takes time to get used to it i have buddy who is in pretty good shape and he couldn't pull it back yet alone hold it back once i assisted him in drawing it back. practice practice practice pretty soon you wont even notice the weight.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe part of the problem is the draw lengh is too long. This can make the muscles work harder as when you get to full draw the bow still has farther to go and you've pretty much run out of muscle. If necessary try turning the bow down a little farther. The last thing you want to do is cause a shoulder injury, especially at your age.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

do some work outs. Your draw weight is pretty high for your size. Just do some pushups, or a rowing machine. Anything that will work out your shoulders/back/triceps. workout one day,take one off, workout, day off, and so on. for pushups or shoulder exercises do 12 reps, wait 10 seconds, 8 reps, wait 10 sec, do 6 reps.

you will keep getting stronger so once that is easy do 18 reps, then 14, then 12. good luck.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Spike

Your draw length is too long unless you have UNUSUALLY long arms. I am 6'0 and my draw is 28.25". Have you been measured by a competent bow technician/archer?

Having too long a draw will make it harder to draw and get into a solid anchor. Turn the bow down and shorten your draw!

NC

Last edited by ncavi8tor1; 09-22-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tyler - any chance of taking the bow back and swapping it for a lighter draw weight bow? With today's speed bows you can easily kill a deer with a 40# draw (provided its legal in your state). Way back when I was your age I shot several deer with a 40# recurve. (and that was 40# at 28" and I probably had a 24 or 25" draw length then so I was probably only shooting 35#).
Old 09-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Bow hunter Mag TV Randy Ulmer (sp) had good advice. when done practice shootin. draw back many times properly as much as you can and keep building up (with out arrow nocked)... those muscles for drawing a bow dont get used unless drawing a bow.. there are some work out simulation alternatives that cabelas sells..but to me nothing beats the real thing even if it is in your garage shootin 5yrds.. pracitcemakes perfect. my new bow i am still gettin used to but i always draw my bow without the "sky draw" as it is less mvmnt for them rascally deer to spot..
Old 09-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Spike

NOT a good idea to draw your bow without an arrow nocked!! That's a dry fire waiting to happen.

NC
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by LI archer
Bow hunter Mag TV Randy Ulmer (sp) had good advice. when done practice shootin. draw back many times properly as much as you can and keep building up (with out arrow nocked)... those muscles for drawing a bow dont get used unless drawing a bow.. there are some work out simulation alternatives that cabelas sells..but to me nothing beats the real thing even if it is in your garage shootin 5yrds.. pracitcemakes perfect. my new bow i am still gettin used to but i always draw my bow without the "sky draw" as it is less mvmnt for them rascally deer to spot..
No offense at all, but please, for the love of everything holy, if you can't handle the draw weight especially, NEVER draw a bow without an arrow nocked! One tiny slip and you blow the bow up, potentially causing a serious injury. Just shoot the thing every day or every other day and work up to it. By 15, I had shot a bow enough that I was drawing a 70# no problem. If you absolutely can't get it back, certainly look in to another bow, but with a little practice and working out, you will have it back no problem. Good luck, but seriously, do not draw an empty bow back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.