Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 do you have to line  up broadhead  blades with vanes >

do you have to line up broadhead blades with vanes

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

do you have to line up broadhead blades with vanes

Old 09-09-2003, 07:33 PM

Default do you have to line up broadhead blades with vanes

i heard for better results to line your broadhead blades with your vanes.if so how do you do it i tryed it, the blades are not even with the blades. help
Old 09-09-2003, 07:42 PM

Default RE: do you have to line up broadhead blades with vanes

the last sentence i messed up i cannot get the blades to line up with the vanes.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:33 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Most experts say that' s an old wives' tale. Finger shooters with twin blades should line them up horizontally, however.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:37 PM

I don' t think that it helps that much, but if you want to line up the blades try getting nylon washers. They give enough play when tightening the head to allow alignment most of the time.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

No you do not, you do however need to spin test each and every head to make sure it spins true, without wobble.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bobcat...definitely a wives tale. 5shot said it...make sure your broadhead in on the shaft straight and your good to go.
Besides...if it was true, how would you line up a 2 blade or 4 blade head with 3 fletchings???
Old 09-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I am currently shooting a five bladed innerloc head with four 5" vanes. So, it would be impossible for me to line up vanes and blades.

But, I do put the heads in the same position on each arrow. I don' t know if it realy matters or not. Some say yes, some say no. But I do it anyways. BTW, I can shoot 2" groups at 30 yards, so whatever I' m doing seems to work.

Spin checking is extremely important. I made my own tester for about $5.

Oncve in a while I get a flyer. An arrow that just seems to not group with others. When this happens, I' ll usually change the insert (or simply heat and spin it at least 3/4 turn), and change the nock. Spin test it, and usually it solves any problems. If I still can' t group with it, I' ll either use it as a practice arrow with field tips, or toss it. Also, I make sure that the ferule of the broadhead is not bent.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bob, good practice on culling out the arrows, but you apparently don' t check an obvious and often totally overlooked source of trouble. Your nocks. Worn out, too tight, too loose, off center... all of them can cause an arrow to not group with others.

So don' t forget to change out nocks and test before trashing what might be a good arrow.

Bobcat, aligning the blades on all your broadheads to correspond with the fletchings, or just matching their alignment one arrow to the next, doesn' t hurt anything. It doesn' t help anything either, except maybe knowing all your arrows are as alike in all respects as you can make them could bolster your confidence.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:02 PM

5 shot is right on...definately spin test....
Old 09-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Uppp, I think you may have been reading my post too fast Arthur.

Bob, good practice on culling out the arrows, but you apparently don' t check an obvious and often totally overlooked source of trouble. Your nocks. Worn out, too tight, too loose, off center... all of them can cause an arrow to not group with others.

So don' t forget to change out nocks and test before trashing what might be a good arrow.

My post:

When this happens, I' ll usually change the insert (or simply heat and spin it at least 3/4 turn), and change the nock.

And I agree with you Arthur 100%. Those nocks can cause problems if they are not 100% perfect, especially with broadheads.

Quick Reply: do you have to line up broadhead blades with vanes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.