Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching Arrows >

Fletching Arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching Arrows

Old 09-08-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Fletching Arrows

I am interested in fletching my own arrows. I shoot Goldtip carbon arrows with (I think) a 4degree offset. What all equipment do I need? I get confused with all the different jigs and clamps and recievers, type of fletchings. What all do I need to fletch the above mentioned arrows?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fletching Arrows

Fletching arrows is not all that difficult.

As for the minimum, you will need a jig, clamp and some glue.

Take a look on ebay. There are normally some running ads for Bitzenberger fletching jigs for something like $30 for the jig and a clamp. You will want a straight clamp as opposed to a helical.

Get some vanes, hopefully the same brand your arrows are already fletched with and some glue. Steel force Beyond Bond works very well. That' s about it.

Prep the shaft using a good degreaser that does not leave behind any residue (denatured alcohol or acetone). Clean the bonding surface of the vane (don' t use acetone for this). Put the vane in the clamp, apply the glue to the vane, put the clamp in the jig and press onto the arrow shaft. Repeat for the other fletches.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:59 AM

I have an AAE E-Z Fletch and a Bitzenburger. The Bitz now resides in the closet.

The AAE E-Z fletch is simple and fast. So simple that my 7 y.o. son fletches his own arrows. I would recommend the AAE jig for the carbon arrows with the 2* offset.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:18 AM

I use a Bitzenburger for mine with a straight clamp tha is offset. The E-Z fletch works pretty good from what I have heard. For Vanes I only use FLEX FLETCH, I have tried all the others and these hold up the best out of all of them. They do cost a little more but are worth it. The other two that are pretty good are the Marco Mullen and Bidelta vanes. I use Goats Tuff glue for my vanes and inserts.

Good Luck