Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Brace height question... >

Brace height question...

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Brace height question...

Old 07-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default Brace height question...

I am hearing a ton of talk about brace height lately and it seems that newer bows are having shorter and shorter brace height. My question is on whether or not it makes much difference, and if so, what differences does it make? How do limbs play into the brace height with regard to their angle and what effect does it have on accuracy? If newer bows were becoming less accurate with shorter brace height, wouldn't they cease to exist? Basically, what is the trade-off?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's the reason why bows are getting faster each year. personally I wouldn't own a bow under 7" brace height, my competition bow has a 8 1/2 brace height.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't agree that brace heights are getting shorter. Generally most bows are hanging in around 7", which has been going on for many years. Sure, there are outright speed bows that have shorter braces. but these are just a few. There are lots of choices to be made with around 7".

The advantage to shorter? More speed, pure and simple.

Disadvantages? Usually a noiser bow. Wrist slap in many cases. Less forgivness in the bow because of the arrow being on the string longer for a given draw length.

That being said, a person with a shorter draw length can actually benefit from a shorter brace height. He can get more speed without having the arrow on the string as someone with a longer draw.

I'm sure there are a few bows with brace heights around 8" or so, but nobody is really interested in them these days. This is a different generation that is interested in speed and not so interested in accuracy potential.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Yes shorter brace heights are for speed. The longer the arrow can stay on the string, the more energy is transferred from bow to the arrow thus generating a faster arrow. Now with that said, the disadvantage is that the longer the arrow is on the string, the more chance of hand torque, looking down range to quick and dropping bow hand or any other problems with shooting form can have an affect on the arrow before leaving the string.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
I don't agree that brace heights are getting shorter. Generally most bows are hanging in around 7", which has been going on for many years. Sure, there are outright speed bows that have shorter braces. but these are just a few. There are lots of choices to be made with around 7".

The advantage to shorter? More speed, pure and simple.

Disadvantages? Usually a noiser bow. Wrist slap in many cases. Less forgivness in the bow because of the arrow being on the string longer for a given draw length.

That being said, a person with a shorter draw length can actually benefit from a shorter brace height. He can get more speed without having the arrow on the string as someone with a longer draw.

I'm sure there are a few bows with brace heights around 8" or so, but nobody is really interested in them these days. This is a different generation that is interested in speed and not so interested in accuracy potential.

what he said
Old 07-20-2012, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

bgfisher has got it right , wrist/jacket sleeve slap is a major issue when hunting , with a coat on . as far as accuracy , if your form is spot on and you have a shorter draw length , 6 1/2 plus brace heights are not that bad .if you have longer draw and mismatched equipment , questionable form , short brace will drive you crazy with inconsistency to serious wrist slap