Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Broadhead flight >

Broadhead flight

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead flight

Old 03-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by JNTURK
My BH hit at 20 about 2" to the right of my FP. As the distances get further the seperation increases.

So in your program what length of an arrow (say the Maxium Hunter dual spine weight forward 450's) should I be shooting?

Does your software show an optimum arrow cut to 'x' length that would be the best spinned for my setup?

Two questions (again I apprecite all your insight, I am just trying to learn from this):

1- Does 1" of draw really cause this much change in spine? My cousin shoots 29" and has his arrows cut to 29" (same as mine) and he has zero issues?

2- How come their charts and another software program (I had asked on this forum, I will try and dig up the advice I received a while back) show that I should be fine?
Hitting to the right is a weak reaction like Bulls said. I have OT2 and the 450's with a 100gr head cut to 29" shaft length, with blazer vanes should be dead on.

Now if you had a 29" draw you would have to add 1" to the arrow length to compensate, so yes draw length makes a difference.

Last edited by screamin; 03-18-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by screamin
Hitting to the right is a weak reaction like Bulls said. I have OT2 and the 450's with a 100gr head cut to 29" shaft length, with blazer vanes should be dead on.

Now if you had a 29" draw you would have to add 1" to the arrow length to compensate, so yes draw length makes a difference.

TFOX - Thanks for chimming in, I will try that.

Screamin - Thanks for taking the time to run that set up in your system. I guess I will have to purchase some new arrows.

Before I jump into the new shafts, does that system show a better spinned shaft or is it not set up like that? I have no issues spending the money, I would rather get it right the second time, LOL.

Thanks again for everyones help.

JNTURK
Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Spike

JNTURK

There is a big list of arrows to choose from but all of them are 300 spined shafts. From there it is just a matter of how heavy you want the arrow to end up? I'm partial to about 7 grs per pound myself but whatever works for you. If you tell me what weight you want to end up with, I could let you know what set ups to go with.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

JNTURK

There is a big list of arrows to choose from but all of them are 300 spined shafts. From there it is just a matter of how heavy you want the arrow to end up? I'm partial to about 7 grs per pound myself but whatever works for you. If you tell me what weight you want to end up with, I could let you know what set ups to go with.
I really have no idea what weight I would like to end up with, really just what arrow / cut to what would be the best for my set up. I figure with the heavier arrows I will be shooting now, I will end up between 375-425 and for big game that should be fine. If the program says 300 spine, than I will probably just keep the CE's as I like them thus far.

Again, thanks for all of your help.

JNTURK
Old 03-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Spike

You do realize those KV 350's are 330 spined right? So you do need to go to the 450 in the Hunter which spines 298.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I realize that. Thanks Screamin.

What I was saying is that my arrow's now are around 8.7 gr per inch and the heavier arrows (more spinned) are like 9.7 gr per inch.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Spike

The 450 Hunters should weigh about 425grs with 10% foc with blazer vanes when done. Should go about 290fps.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 450 Hunters should weigh about 425grs with 10% foc with blazer vanes when done. Should go about 290fps.
I am liking the specks!

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX suggesteed I lower to poundage to see if that does anything. I lowered it 4.5 turns and kept my rest setting for BH and shot at 20 yards. I saw basically no results (maybe the FP came closer to the BH, but it was very slight).....

Could this mean I am that underspined or should I have seen different results?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would think that depending on your bow's specs, a 4.5 turn on each limb bolt would reduce your draw weight somewhere between 7 and 13 lbs. That should have made a difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.