Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Paper tune looks good BUT... >

Paper tune looks good BUT...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tune looks good BUT...

Old 01-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Paper tune looks good BUT...

My arrow rest is too far right. I have a z7Xtreme and when I line the string up with the red line on the grip my arrow is angled to the right. I didnt have much time to mess with it today but I am hitting consistently at 20 yards. What can I do to pull my rest away from the riser and still shoot good through paper?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by killadoe
My arrow rest is too far right. I have a z7Xtreme and when I line the string up with the red line on the grip my arrow is angled to the right. I didnt have much time to mess with it today but I am hitting consistently at 20 yards. What can I do to pull my rest away from the riser and still shoot good through paper?
The first thing is to make sure the rest is at center line of your string and squared, then go to you tube on paper tunning (if that's what you want). You can hit consistantly at any given yardage with a rest out, but it's when you move that is going to make a difference..

I perfer walk back tunning to paper tunning any day.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Exactly what Rev said. I don't hold much salt to paper tuning either. I visually line everything up square then sight in at 20 yds. Then I use the walk back method to tune the rest. Next I broadhead tune so my field tips and BHs are hitting the same POI.
I started this method several years ago and have been shooting better than I have all my life. And I've been shooting bows for over 50 years.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Spike

I think that the red mark on the Mathews grips are just a referance point and that each archer's hand position and form will determine the correct center shot. My personal best center shot position on my Mathews bows are 7/8" from inside riser the the center of the shaft. Also think paper tunning is actually over rated; but a good starting point. Shooting from 30 to 50 yds and tweeking the center shot has gotten my bows to group their best with both field points and broadheads.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Centershot is the most important setting in a good tune. The trick is to achieve a good tear while maintaining the correct centershot.

This requires a torque free grip. A correct arrow spine. No cam lean as well as no fletching contact with the rest.

Set your centershot with french tune or walk back and leave it. Unless you are doing some fine group tuning for targets

Last edited by TFOX; 03-28-2012 at 04:43 PM.