Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
string whiskers and string dampers >

string whiskers and string dampers

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string whiskers and string dampers

Old 08-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default string whiskers and string dampers

Sorry for all of the questions lately but being new to bow hunting I'm trying to learn some things. I have a pack of string dampeners and string whiskers. Can I put both of them on or just one of them? If just one , which one would you suggest and how far down do I need to put it on each end. If I can use both , where should I put them? How much speed while I lose? Also the string dampeners, it says to crimp the first band to the string, then fold the silencer and crimp the other 2 bands around it. Does the first band need to be crimped snug on the sting? I'm worried that it could damage the string. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Spike

Default string whiskers

Use the string whiskers. They always seem to work the best at silencing the string. You do not need two different kinds; will be no noticable difference in noise reduction with two set only loss of speed. The less you have on the string and cables the faster the bow will be.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks zeek99. Seems like alot of people like whiskers. How far down on each end do I put them? Around 4 inches?
Old 08-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

I always put my 2 inches or so from the top wheel and the cam on bottom.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Spike

Ive always heard to put them as close to the cams as you can get them.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Spike

Put them on close to the cam and try it. Keep moving them closer to the center of the bow a little at a time till you find that sweet spot where the bow feels good and is the most quiet at the shot. Works for me.