Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
String suppressor help >

String suppressor help

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String suppressor help

Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Spike

Default String suppressor help

I own a hoyt Vectrix XL and i am noticing a very audible slap of the string when it hits the string suppressor. I feel it is much louder than it should be and it has been very frustrating to deal with. I have tried adjusting the distance between the suppressor and string with no luck. any help or advice to correct this would be terrific.

Thanks in advanced!!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Always been told that there should be about the thickness of a business card between the stopper and the string.

Can always see about replacing the rubber with another one. Normally about $10 or so.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Spike

Thanks for the reply Krypt

The problem with replacing the rubber stop is it is Glued on. I thought about getting this product http://shop.bowjax.com/products/prod...0.0.0.0?pp=12& to go over it, but i have not seen much in terms of reviews on the product so i am a bit skeptical. I have limited funding due to being a college student so i cannot to afford to buy brand new stopper, but this cover may be what i try, just shopping around for something better or a possible fix to my setup.

Last edited by xGREENx; 08-09-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Typical Buck

Bowjax does make some nice stuff.

I personally would take the suppressor off the bow and remove the old one using a razor knife or whatever is needed. Clean up everything and install the new stopper.

The suppressor I have on my bow is one that I made. Might have $15 in it, and thats including the $10 stopper I put on it.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Spike

How did you make your suppressor if you dont mind me asking
Old 08-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Read a bunch of post about it on Archerytalk.com

I started off making a mounting bracket. Drilled it to allow for my stabilizer to go right back on. Then drilled a hole that would allow for the suppressor to side off to the side of the bow. I used copper tubing forget the OD of it. probably 1/4" or 3/8"

fill it with sand and pack it tight as possible used two small bolts that would fit into the ends. Use a tap to help cut some threads into the copper to help them stay. Don't have to be anything extreme but hold the side in it tight. The sand is only in there to prevent the tubing from crushing in on itself as you bent it. Slightly bend it to where it will pass around your cable and turn back in towards your string. Use some serving material and apply to this area on your string to help protect your string. About 2" long is plenty.

When you get it into the ball park, remove your bolts and remove sand. I used tapped threaded side to go into the mounting plate. Some epoxy on threads and tighten it down. Let sit over night to cure. I used a button head allen bolt as it will sit more flush onto the plate. Small tack weld to bolt head and plate and it won't be able to turn.

Using 100% silicone and a small straw I inserted the straw into the open end of the tube and filled it up as I slowly pulled the straw out. Let sit for several days, and get your stopper of choice.

put on your stopper and see how far down it will sit and see how much excess you will need to trim off the tube. make your cut on the tube, scuff with sandpaper to give some rubber cement something to grip to.

Mask off scuffed end spray paint color of choice and let dry. Once dry apply a small amount of rubber cement on scuffed end and put on stopper. Put the suppressor onto your bow and adjust your suppressor to being about a playing card or business card from you serving on your string. Let the cement dry overnight and you are done.

I painted mine, and then got bored one day and did some paracord braiding over it. Looks neat and different.

YOu can use different materials. Seen people use solid aluminum, copper, stainless, and even one guy who worked with carbon fiber make one with that.

I get bored easy so always tinkering and making stuff. So this is what I do alot in winter months after hunting season is done.

dave

Last edited by Krypt Keeper; 08-11-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Spike

Thanks for the help Krypt. I think i might try something similar to what you did. Sounds simple enough. Much Appreciated
Old 08-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

No problem.

There is a bunch of things you can do for yourself. Just remember that someone had to design and make prototypes for everything you use.

Not everything will work on the first attempt, so don't get discouraged.