Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BOWSITE.com

Old 08-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BOWSITE.com

One of the testers lives here in Ohio down by Columbus...
Well there' s your friggin problem! [>:]

Like I said, it was a great effort. It just was perfromed very haphazardly,IMO
Old 08-06-2003, 03:06 PM

What no category for best accuracy while blindfolded???

I agree with those who think this might have been a little heavy on the cheese and a bit light on the meat and potatoes...

I got nuthin[&:]

-Chief
Old 08-07-2003, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not dead yet!

Old 08-07-2003, 08:59 AM

Ahhh come on you know Jeff is upset because the LX was faster than the Bowtech.He' s in denial right nowAll ribbing aside,I give em an A for effort.But I don' t put much faith in " independent" bow testing.It' s too subjective and the speed thing is hard to get apples for apples unless all variables are the same.The way some manuf. set " amo" draw is very unreliable.Norm mulaney is the only guy who' s reports I put alot of faith in.I just can' t believe the mathews faithful are' nt taking the opportunity to get in some shot' s on you bowtech boy' s.They must all be shootin Hoyts now

CB
Old 08-07-2003, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t believe they were trying to do an apples to apples test but rather just a what people liked better test.

Here' s a cut and paste from one of the testers.

BY MOHICAN: " I was one of the testers and yes it was very difficult shooting twelve bows in groups and narrowing those groups and shooting those against one another to come up with an overall winner in just one Category. I shoot a Bowtech but from the testing the best overall winner was the Hoyt in my hands. It took me about an hour and a half just to complete one of the tests within the groups."

It doesn' t seem like he chose his favorite brand so maybe the testing was done fairly.

JMHO...

Old 08-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not dead yet!

You will be soon

I feel happy

I know, I know, enough of the Monty Python excerpts....
Old 08-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cajun,

LOL. I was waiting for someone to jump my A$$ about that.

Actually at the shop the LX’s and ExVFT’s are pretty much right in line w/ one another. You’ll get one LX that is a fps or two quicker than an ExVFT and the next two you pick up, the ExVFT is a bit faster.

Like you said, they need to be tested at a measured draw. Some of those brands, including Bowtech and Mathews all run a bit long on draw lengths. Some of them run way long, and do not meet their advertised specs in other ways. For example (and this is just an example, I’m not trying to pick on any one manufacturer) all of the top end PSE bows we get seem to have brace heights running ½” avg shorter than spec. We’ve got a Primos STL on the wall that has a 7 & 1/8" ” brace. My Enforcer was short by 3/8”. The draw lengths run pretty long too, averaging ¾”. All of ‘em show up like that out of the box. You can put twists in the strings and get draw length and brace to specs, but you lose poundage, and speeds really drop off cause the cams are out of whack. :shrug:

It just irks me that some neophyte is gonna read that “test” and likely make a purchase based on someone else’s vision of what grip feels best, or has the smoothest draw. This board is proof that we are all different and experience things in very different ways. In addition, one should not make any conclusions until a bow is set-up the way it would be shot under normal circumstances. (i.e. w/ stabilizer, rest, limbsavers, proper arrow, silencers, etc). Over the years I’ve had many, many customers totally change their stance on a bow they initially did not care for once they had shot it w/ a proper set-up. It’s amazing how big the difference is in some cases. E.g. we have got some Martin Cougar III SE’s (parallel limbs, fuzion cam) at the shop that off the rack are a little shocky, thumpy and kinda loud. Set one up w/ limbsavers and a Sorbotek stabilizers and it’s one of the most pleasant shooting bows out there and very,very quiet.

I' m rambling now...sorry [:-]
Old 08-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowtech must have dropped the ball on the ExVFT because they claim they to have an IBO speed that is 10fps faster than the LX. Mathews is claiming an IBO speed of 317 at 65% and 315 at 80% whereas Bowtech is claiming 325-33 on the ExVFT. If your are getting identical setups that the LX is shooting as fast or faster than the ExVFT then Bowtech needs to do some recanting and some refiguring. Which bow has the smoother draw cycle and the better transition and valley?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to look at the tested specs though...

The bows were all tested at 28" draw (?) whether either one was actually 28" draw we' ll never know.

Another thing I didn' t see mentioned was the let off settings for the bows. I know BowTech ships their singles at 80% let off. We don' t know about what the LX was shipped at...

The ExVFT is rated at 325-333 fps at 30" draw however it drops off to 302-310 at 28" draw.

If you' ll notice, the ExVFT loses some efficiency from 30" down to 29" since it' s rated at 311-319 at 29" . Then from 29" down to 28" the efficiency pretty much levels out.

Like I' ve said above.... Other than the 65 lb. draw weight, the bows were tested as they were out of the box...

Just my observations...
Old 08-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

SA,

I haven' t done any 30" vs. 30" testing. I know what some guys are getting out of the bows @ 30" , but the control methods were nil, so I' m loathe to make any assumptions.

I was commenting on shorter draw lengths, 28" & 29" in particular.

Mathews ships at 80% for the LX btw.

As far as my personal feelings goes, I find the LX and VFT to draw very similar. Both ramp up a bit on the back end at my draw but roll over smoothly (bowtech has improved the I-cam for this year). I prefer the ExVFT' s valley @ 65% because it does not seem as narrow as the LX' s at the same %. However, I' ve made no bones about that fact that I find Bowtech' s I-cam works extremely well for me.

Again, personally, I have much preferred my Legacy models over the LX in most every area. The LX has a little bit better balance, but I' ve seen some goofy things with the machining on the Mathews HP cam that turns me off , despite the fact the LX a very nice drawing and shooting bow.

Quick Reply: BOWSITE.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.