Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
2" vanes vs. 4" vanes? >

2" vanes vs. 4" vanes?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

2" vanes vs. 4" vanes?

Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Spike

Default 2" vanes vs. 4" vanes?

hi i have a quick question. i have 6 GOLD TIP HUNTER EXPEDITION 3555 Carbon Arrows with 2" blazer vanes. i will use those for hunting only. i plan on buying 6 more GOLD TIP HUNTER EXPEDITION 3555 Carbon Arrows but with 4" vanes for target shooting only. both are 7.4 gpi the only difference is they are 4" not 2" vanes. will there be any major difference in the arrows performance from the 2" to the 4"? i just want to shoot a arrow on the range that will fly just like my hunting arrows will.

*i understand i need to match my field tip weight to my broad heads weight, i'm only talking about the shaft and vanes.

*i know i could just buy 2" vanes but i have a chance to buy the 4" ones a bit cheaper.

thanks guys.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

there really isnt that much difference in flight as far as im concerned. I shot 4in last year for the first part of my archery league then switched to 2in blazers and couldnt really tell the difference beside the guys on my team not shooting through the 2in as easily as the 4in
Old 06-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

The biggest difference you are going to see between Blazers and 4 in vanes is the Blazers are a lot tougher than 4 in vanes. You will have to replace Blazers a whole lot less.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are shooting a release aid I would stay with the 2". Vanes are to spin the arrow in flight for better accuracy and to correct a poor release. The 4" are more common with fingers shooters for stabilizing arrow flight quickly.