Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How to sight in single pin sight with peep >

How to sight in single pin sight with peep

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to sight in single pin sight with peep

Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Spike

Default How to sight in single pin sight with peep

How to best sight in single pin sight with peep sight?

I've gotten it dialed in great at 5 yards - basement,

and at 10 yards - back yard;

but when I went to the range recently and moved the dial to where 20, 30, and 40 should be it was way off.

My peep sight is tied in about 4 fingers up from the knock.

The sight is a single pin with a knob on the side to raise or lower the sight. At the further distances the arrows are heading straight for the dirt no matter how high I raised the sight.

Does this mean my peep sight is in the wrong spot?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks. JW
Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without more detailed explanation on your part it sounds like you have a very high anchor. don't know how well you're "dialed in", but I never bother with 5 or 10 yard settings, but then I have the space to sight in longer. Four fingers above the nocking point is a pretty vague figure. A actual measurement would be better, but I would say most guys have about 5" to 6" between the nocking point and the peep. A lot of things can make it vary, but this would be an average measurement.

I usually find that sighted in a 25 yards the arrows hit just about dead on at 5 yards. Sounds like you're using an HHA sight. Are you sure you're moving the sight housing (turning the dial) the correct direction when trying to shoot longer? The sight housing should be moving down to shoot longer.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Spike

Default How to sight in single pin sight with peep

Thanks BGfisher, now I have a couple of starting points to work on,

First, the last thing you mentioned I now realize I was doing wrong. I was moving the dial/sight the wrong direction.

Looking the sight up at Cabela's, I now see the correct way the tape is put on the dial, my mistake, I thought it should go up.

Here's the sight:
http://www.cabelas.com/bow-sights-pr...ro-sight.shtml

I like it, it's clear as opposed to some, and lights up the pin good in low light conditions. Just not much of a manual for a guy like me.

Second, I moved my peep down to the first rotation of the string from the second. Now it is only 3 and 1/2 inches up from the nock.

That may be too low, maybe I will move it back up and try to sight in at 25 yards, to start instead of with only 5 yards-basement.

Thanks for your help, now maybe I can get back on track. JW
Attached Thumbnails How to sight in single pin sight with peep-micro-sight.jpg  
Old 06-09-2011, 02:49 AM
Fork Horn

I would have someone look at your form while shooting. The peep seems to be a little shy of height. Your pulling arm should be straight behind the arrow and the elbow directly behind, not high or lower. Here is a pic that might help. Your style of anchor is yours but you still need proper form, and be consistant. I teach everyone that the more points of contact with the draw the better. EX: the string touching the tip of the nose, the thumb touching the tip of the ear, thumb touching the lower jaw, a kisser touching the lip, the peep lining up with the eye, or the release touching the corner of your mouth, are just some. I try to have at least 2 points of contact and three is better. I use the peep, the tip of my nose and the release at the corner of my mouth.(comes from many years shooting fingers)
Pat
Attached Thumbnails How to sight in single pin sight with peep-proper-forarm-positon.jpg  
Old 06-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Everyone's face is different. My peep is about 4 finger width from my nock. It depends on your anchor, shooting style and other factors. I am glad you got your sight working. I was never a big fan of one pin adjustable sights. I like my 5 pin sights. But then again most of my hunting is done in a variety of wooded areas where a quick short shot or a 30 - 40 yd shot may present itself for a short time. I may only have the time to check the range, draw and shoot. If I need to adjust the sight for the yardage I may lose the opportunity. My top pin is set at 20 yds with the rest in 10 yd increments. Anyway that is my reasoning. It may be flawed but I guess that is why there are different sights for different folks.