Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
New sight, erattic groups (spot hogg on hoyt) >

New sight, erattic groups (spot hogg on hoyt)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New sight, erattic groups (spot hogg on hoyt)

Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default New sight, erattic groups (spot hogg on hoyt)

Well I recently purchased a spot hogg right on 5 pin micro .019 sight. Matched it to a hoyt rampage xt. 58# draw, nock loop, scott silver horn release. Whisker bis. Easton carbon arrows. Always shot good with my old cheap truglo sight that came on the bow. Well I set this sight up as directed 20/30/40 yrd pins, pretty close. Spent a few hrs doing it. Shot pretty good... 20 yrd groups in a apple sized spot, 30 around a soft ball, 40's makin lines.. stayin in a lung sized target.. the next day.. I shot all over the place.. Really couldnt group at all. Should I go to the bow shop and get everything checked? I installed the sight myself, used middle mounting holes, my peep just shows the outter ring of the pin guard as directed. Or maybe its me? Torquing when shooting> finger punchin on my release too hard? I think the nicer sight may accentuate my shooting flaws and I may need some correction? I feel like this bow has no forgiveness now... Any advice much apperciated.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Fork Horn

As long as your sight is tight then you are probably tourqing the bow. But it will take time to get use to the new sight as well. You could also just have some bad shooting form of some type as well. Have a friend watch you shoot and let you know. One thing to watch for is when you start shooting farther out is pulling the bow away to watch the arrow. This will affect your arrow flight down range. Double check everything for tightness starting with anything that has a bolt or srcew.

Last edited by mofire; 05-17-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Yea Ill look it all over again, Like I said Ill shoot good after some practice, and I follow threw on my shots. I tweaked my release so I wouldnt tug the string when I pull it. Amazes me that just a sight change make the bow a whole new bow...
Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Shot about 2 hrs again tonight, back to the basics... reference points, and nose on string, shooting dead on.. my grip was alot of it, always good to pretend your grip is an egg.. and hold it like one.. fingers resting or off the grip.. made my shots sweet. My roomate shoots my bow idential to me, watched him and his habits, he was locking his wrist and pressing the palm on the grip, causing him to shoot 4" low. He corrected it and was shooting bulls eyes at 20 yrd with me. Just a stern reminder to PRACTICE IN THE OFF SEASON
Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome.........