Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What do I do

Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do I do

I bought a Mathews Reezon this past year and while out hunting this fall my peep sight kept turning on me, especially when it got cold. I would have to turn my string to be able to see through the peep. My peep is attached by a tube. Does anyone know what is going on with my bow. Is it a string issue or a peep site issue?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

buy a quality string and cable , and put a metapeep on it , problem solved
Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Spike

The temp shouldn't have anything to do with it, and if you are using a rubber peep tube, there should be no issue. It is possible the peep tube isn't tight enough to rotate the peep at full draw. You could try to tighten the tube by trimming a little off and retying it, but in my opinion you should just do away with the rubber tube altogether. You can twist your D-loop in opposite direction you need your peep to turn until the peep comes back straight, or you can just take your bow into a shop and they can retie your peep...most places do simple stuff like that free of charge. Good Luck.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either method mentioned can work, but experience has taught me that nothing is better than a good set of strings, which obviously aren't on your bow. Some require a shoot-in period to stabilize, but I've also used good aftermarket strings that required nothing more than setting them up and shooting them. Very little to no peep rotation from the very beginning.

Although Mathews has always made good bows they have never had what some consider premium strings. The older Zebra strings were nothing short of piss-poor. The newer Barracudas seem to be a hit or miss thing. Some are good and some are not. Opinions about their quality can vary a lot depending on the experience of the archer. Many knowledgable shooters just change them right from the git-go.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:56 AM
Fork Horn

Mathews has two stringsne is a fish and the other is an animal, neither should be put on a bow. Go to your local pro shop and get set up with a set of custom strings. Should be around $75.00 + install at the most. You can also pm me for a set but sometimes the pro shop will give you a better price on the string/install if you get it from them. If the store has stings on the shelf, they are not custom!!
Pat
Old 05-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

I had an issue like this on my old bear bow, the string broke in.. then started torquing the nock loop... so in turn, the nock was not straight and turning the string at draw.. annoying!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Once you have your peep lined up, or very close, you might want to consider installing the TruBall Speed Nock. It is a simple little nock set with a little 'tail' that your arrow nock slides over to keep your peep aligned. It eliminates the need for a rubber tube that can possibly break. I have them on all my compounds.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Spike

Let's see, you could have a stock stringset (baracuda's) and have less than 200-250 shots on them? IMO baracuda's are poorly made strings and take that long before they stop stretching. Or, you could have a strand broke on your string? Even if you can't see a broken strand there could be one under your serving. If that's the case the it's futile to repair. Lastly, your string could be unbalanced? Too many twists on the part of the string above the center serving and not enough twist in the part below the center serving (or the other way around). In any case save yourself some pain and suffering. Take it to a pro shop if you aren't capable (bow press) and have them put on a quality set of custom strings. $60-70 + installation. Then you can take off that peep tube and shoot with no worries! Well, no worries about string rotation that is.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ijimmy
buy a quality string and cable , and put a metapeep on it , problem solved

what he said.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

lose the peep tubing, change to custom string and go for a G5 meta peep,....

try Vapor Trail, worked for me.....

F