Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
good mechanical for beginner >

good mechanical for beginner

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

good mechanical for beginner

Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

ive used mechanicals for many years and have had great luck with them..vortex 2 blade 2" cut 100grain is my number 1 choice they have never failed me..
Old 01-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
For any beginner, don't just put the mechanical broadhead on the arrow. Study it. Figure out how it's suppose to operate. Learn how a newbie can foul up a mechanical device. Just so he can blame the mechanical for not working, as newbies are wont to do.
I'm very big into seeing how things work, I'd probably even take one apart to see how it works and see about replacing blades.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Grim Reapers without question!!!!! 100grn RazorTip and I have been shooting them for 5-6 years now and have taken over 37 deer and hogs with them and am still shooting 7 of the original 12 I bought!!!!!! I have 3 on the mounts in the LR and 2 are in tree trunks on pass throughs!!!! I have watched over 90% of all the animals taken drop within sight and have never had one go over 100 yds.
I took a near World Record Catalina Ram then (was an 1-3/8ths short of the record) and have it on video. It went 41 yds from impact to drop!!!!! I have a 10pt at home that FD at 247 pounds that took a GR at 17yds that blew a vertabrae into 4 pieces, went 8 inches into the chest and only broke one blade!!!! I shot a Mathews Q2 at 63# with a BlackHawk Vapor 4000 arrow, weighing 425grn with BH and LumaNock at 280 fps.
Go to their website and see what they show. GrimReapers do not use a rubber band, take longer angle shots than any other expandable. Penetrated a new 55gal steel drum and was still operable aftewards, and then the plywood penetration tests. Nuff said!!!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 01-23-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

I'm running an '01 PSE Nova, 29" draw, 70lbs. or so. arrows are gold tip hunter xt 5575, only because Gander Mtn. didn't have 7595.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hookeye
Often the improved accuracy just masks the problem- it's still there, and usually rears its ugly head when meat is hit.

Mechs work, but they need (as all BH's do) to be on arrows of proper flight.
Reposted for emphasis. Even if you're shooting mechanicals, make sure your bow is tuned.