Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Can anyone identify this bow? >

Can anyone identify this bow?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can anyone identify this bow?

Old 10-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Spike

Default Can anyone identify this bow?

Saw this in a pawn shop this morning. Only markings on it is a Pearson Archery logo. No spec sticker or model name or nothin'. For $40 i'd like to have it but i'd like to know what model it is before I buy it. Closest thing I can find is the Grey Ghost, but I don't think that that is it.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Unless you have some sentimental connection to that bow, I'd walk away... The sights tell us it's got a fair amount of age one it, and the serving appears to be coming un done... You are gonna have WAY more in that bow than what it is worth to make it safely shootable again. New strings and cables, new sight, new rest, string silences, new stabilizer wouldn't hurt.... By the time you got it up to date you would have more in it than what it would cost to get say a Diamond Edge that will out perform it...
Old 10-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Forget about it. I see more disappointed first time bow buyers that bought a bow like this from a pawn shop or garage sale because it was only $50. When they come in to the shop and ask me to fit the bow to them 95% of the time they are SOS because you can't get parts for these dinosaurs any more.

I doubt the draw length will fit you so it will need to be changed and you can't get parts any more.

If a limb cracks (they may already be cracked) you can't get parts for it any more.

The string on that bow definitely needs to be replaced so you are looking at additional $$$$ for a string, cables and labor.

You are gonna want to replace the old and broken accessories it has on it right now so that is additional money.

Honestly, by the time you put the money and time into getting this bow ready to hunt (and you may not be able to) you could get yourself a brand new package bow like a PSE Brute Parker blazer, or Mission menace that is current production, has a lifetime warranty, comes with modern accessories, is gonna be a hell of a lot quieter, more forgiving and pleasant to shoot, it can be adjusted to fit you properly, so on and so on and so on.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default That looks like a bow . . .

I used back in pre-historic times, about twenty years ago. I remember those sights that didn't have fiber optics on them. You talk about learning how a shoot !
Of course, I heard pawn shop bows fit every hunter, every time.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would be concerned about getting a new bow string for it. I just retired my old bear last Feb. and I still feel quite confident in shooting it today as well.. It would be around 20 years old right now. Aaahhh the memories that bow gives me.. LOL I shot a few deer with it and it had plenty of penitration to it as well. The new bows do not compare to the dinosaurs from yesteryear.

I doubt the draw length will fit you so it will need to be changed and you can't get parts any more.
Changing the draw length is easy on these old bows. If I remember correctly it is more of where the string is set. Different slots for the string. I do agree tho that you would be very lucky do find any parts for it.

As stated tho if the limbs are cracked you will be out of your $40.. I would concider passing this one by and finding one with newer technology because of the difference in todays bows do not compare with the ones from that period of time..
Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like a bear bow same kind my brother shoots lol,I been telling him to update to some more modern equipment but he refuses,I dont have any thing bad to say about anyone who does use these older bows they will kill a deer just as good as a newer bow but these newer bows are so much lighter and easier to handle,so if it were me I would save up and get a newer one.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Spike

No worries man, I gave up on that old dinosaur. I'm picking up my 2008 Bowtech Guardian tomorrow morning.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by OkieOFT
No worries man, I gave up on that old dinosaur. I'm picking up my 2008 Bowtech Guardian tomorrow morning.
Good answer, the best thing you could have done. You would have sure been disappointed.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by The Rev
Good answer, the best thing you could have done. You would have sure been disappointed.
X2,not a good way to go starting out with a dinosaur!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
X2,not a good way to go starting out with a dinosaur!
Actually I started out with a dinosaur anyways, an old Pearson Renegade II I got for $35. It may be a dinosaur but it'll put three arrows into a 1" group at 45 yards if I do my part. Was just looking to upgrade to a cooler looking dinosaur. I actually shot better with the Renegade than i'm doing with the Guardian, got too used to that long ATA length.