Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Horse kicking arrows.. >

Horse kicking arrows..

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Horse kicking arrows..

Old 09-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Spike

Default Horse kicking arrows..

hey guys, I am puzzled... Similiar questions I know before from others and I may end up at the bow shop. I have a 07 Reflex Rampage 60#. I am shooting Easton Carbon 60/75. I have a drop away rest and shoot release with cord loop.

I have been shooting quite a bit lately trying to get ready for season and just having some fun. I notice that I have a really bad horse kick to my arrow and is really noticable at 20 yards. not so much at 30 and 40. I went from a 30" arrow down to a 29" because I noticed that my arrows should be a 29 with a little room to spare. That didn't help.

Do you think it is in my grip? i am not showing any hitting on the vanes or the rest. It doesn't seem that my nocks are sticking but could be.

Does anyone have any ideas what i could try for horse kick before I head to the pro shop? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming you are seeing the back of the arrow moving up and down (porpoising) and not side to side (fishtailing), I would say you either have fletch contact or your nock or rest is too high or low. You say there's no contact, but perhaps there's something up with the rest timing? If that's not it, since you have a loop installed, may be easiest to adjust your rest height. If flight is not too bad, check to see where a broadhead hits in relation to a field point. If the BH hits lower than the FP move the rest up say 1/16" and shoot again.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Spike

Thanks UncleNorby. The rest is where I am looking, i do believe. And yes I have a up and down kick. In 30 and 40 yards it is up, down, up, down level entry. In 20 yards, it is a up, down, up, with the arrow having a down entry. I will likely take it to the shop to give it a once over and check the rest. i just thought it may have been something I was doing, tweeking the bow or nock sticking. Looking for second opinions.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would have to agree with norby too. also, those arrows may be a bit stiff for your setup. And if they didn't fly well because of a spine issue at 30", then cutting them down to 29" made them even stiffer. When you get to the shop, ask if you can try some lighter spined arrows. They should have some laying around.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Even if it is a rest issue fletched arrow should straighten out in 20 yards or less. I think you have an under spine problem as well. Hard to say from here. Good luck.