Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow weight

Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Spike

Default Arrow weight

I have shot alum forever and am looking to try carbon. I do like a heavier arrow as penetration has proven to be king to me over the years and the heavier arrow (to a point) really impacts this. So my question is!
Assuming I need a 30 inch arrow (70# draw) and a 100 or most likely 125 broadhead - Which arrows do I look at to get my arrow weight fully dressed to right around 500 grains?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Any arrow with a GPI around 10 will do the trick for you. The other options is getting something slightly lighter and adding a weight tube to it. Personally I've found that I like shooting about 8 Grains per pound of draw weight. Right now I'm shooting an Easton ST Epic Camo out of my bow I have set at 55 Lbs and I am in the middle of getting my arrows setup for my 70 Lb bow I belive I'll be going with the same shaft type and adding a weight tube to it. That is just my preference though. As far as penetration goes my 55 Lb setup had a complete pass through on my 1400 Lb Bison at 30 yards.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're gonna need at least 10 grains per inch and it still will only get you to about 450+- grains. If you want to get to 500 grains you are gonna need a heavier shaft unless you use a heavier broadhead and/or choose to use brass inserts to get the weight and FOC up.

I use Easton axis nano 300 shafts, 75 grain brass insert, 100 grain broadhead, 3 NAP speed hunter vanes, and a 3.5" wrap. My arrows come it at 520ish grains.

Some good choices are....
Easton FMJ
Easton Axis nano
Carbon Express piledriver hunter